• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anyone Who Knows Pentax Gear????

ErikJonas

Banned
I have the 16 to 50 2.8 lens...Came highly recomended....If you know this lens you know how quiet it is...Well...Recently mines gotten a bit noisy when its all the way out to 50 and the AF does not seem to be working as well...Any ideas on why this might be and if its a easy fix?...Very quiet at 16 but now at 50 the AF is a bit noisy....The lens is going on 2 years old...

Larry Brown

If you bought new and still under warrenty you may want to send it in for service.There has been some reports of SDM failures with these lenses and the others,DA*50-135 2.8 comes to mind(SDM also)...SDM lenses should be quiet and if getting louder could be a early warning before failure...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you bought new and still under warrenty you may want to send it in for service.There has been some reports of SDM failures with these lenses and the others,DA*50-135 2.8 comes to mind(SDM also)...SDM lenses should be quiet and if getting louder could be a early warning before failure...

Likely they won't charge you for it. It may just need a cleanng.

Asher

Larry Brown

To be honest I do not own this lens nor do I own any SDM lens but I have noticed discussions

from other forums concerning SDM failures with the Pentax SDM lenses that there could be a

higher than normal failure rate and some have even went as far to have an active petition to

Pentax to this and respond.Many,like myself are patiently waiting for SDM ll to be released.Many

have sited no problems at all so argument continues but surely something is happening,maybe

QC.Whatever the reason there does seem like a problem could exist and worth exploring as SDM

should be more quiet than the screw drive lenses I have from all reports and reviews I have

read,Regardless of the reason only Erik can make this decision.if it was me it would go in for

service at the first sign of a problem SDM and hope Pentax will be kind knowing they could have a

problem....just my 2 cents.....

Larry

Likely they won't charge you for it. It may just need a cleanng.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
Its still under warrenty but i have no paper work on it...I'm pretty much screwed...I'll need to start saving for a lens asap then which i could not afford till like december if then even...

Larry Brown

Its still under warrenty but i have no paper work on it...I'm pretty much screwed...I'll need to start saving for a lens asap then which i could not afford till like december if then even...

Erik,If still under warranty then give Pentax a call on it. Be polite and explain the situation and ask for some consideration as you would like have a good experience with Pentax.
Example: I received a present from a family member a couple of years ago, a Pentax camera, I called Pentax concerning the warranty as I did not purchase and did not have the sales receipt and questioned how I should handle any problems or service that may be needed. They informed me that I would not have a problem.Your lens issue may indeed be more of a problem not knowing all the history but as I said before there has been some problems with some of Pentaxes SDM lenses and yours could be involved.The serial numbers of the lens could maybe identify if your lens was in affected batch, who knows but worth the call IMO, what's the harm,huh?
If not covered or if repair is out of reach, these are another issue. What other lenses do you have Erik besides the kit lens?If you want to expand with your photography and your "work horse" lens is broke and you don't have a substitute to use this becomes a problem and I feel your pain.
I think I would call Pentax and then spend some time on Ebay and look for a bargain in the focal length you use the most often.

Larry