Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Portrait in Natural Light Especially!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 10th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,488
Default Carrie

Carrie is the wife of an active-duty member of the US Armed Forces; mother of two; founder and chair of the Otero County (N.M.) chapter of Indivisible, a grass-roots political movement; recently-announced candidate for one of three seats on our Board of County Commissioners; and, perhaps best of all, president of the Alamogordo Roller Derby League. (Who said we don't have any culture out here in the desert!) She skates, by the way, under the name Mako. Our local team is the Alamo Rocket Dolls.

Here we see Carrie at a recent county political organization meeting in a local Mexican restaurant:



Douglas A. Kerr: Carrie

To our right is David, like myself a retired engineer of the telecommunication persuasion.

This was shot from my seat at the table, a fair distance away, with Carla's trusty Canon PowerShot G16: ISO 800, f/2.2, 1/15 sec, image stabilization, available light.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 11th, 2018, 09:10 AM
James Lemon James Lemon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Carrie is the wife of an active-duty member of the US Armed Forces; mother of two; founder and chair of the Otero County (N.M.) chapter of Indivisible, a grass-roots political movement; recently-announced candidate for one of three seats on our Board of County Commissioners; and, perhaps best of all, president of the Alamogordo Roller Derby League. (Who said we don't have any culture out here in the desert!) She skates, by the way, under the name Mako. Our local team is the Alamo Rocket Dolls.

Here we see Carrie at a recent county political organization meeting in a local Mexican restaurant:



Douglas A. Kerr: Carrie

To our right is David, like myself a retired engineer of the telecommunication persuasion.

This was shot from my seat at the table, a fair distance away, with Carla's trusty Canon PowerShot G16: ISO 800, f/2.2, 1/15 sec, image stabilization, available light.

Best regards,

Doug
Hello Doug

Was the slow shutter speed intentional? The rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the focal length for a stable image. I actually like to double that number to ensure a stable image.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 11th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,488
Default

Hi, James,

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Hello Doug

Was the slow shutter speed intentional? The rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the focal length for a stable image. I actually like to double that number to ensure a stable image.
f/2.2 was the largest aperture I had at that focal length, and ISO 1600 is about the highest I like to go with this camera (with a rather small sensor) (but I unintentionally shot this at ISO 800).

So the metering system put up 1/15 sec. (I generally shoot in this situation with programmable exposure.)

Fortunately the image stabilization system helps a lot in this situation if there is no subject movement.

Of course, Carrie is a movement!

Thanks for you observation.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited by Doug Kerr; March 11th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 11th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Hello Doug

Was the slow shutter speed intentional? The rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the focal length for a stable image. I actually like to double that number to ensure a stable image.
Well, that was with older shutters and especially with mirrors and longer lenses.

With electronic shutters it depends on the mass of the camera. In my camera, the Fuji GFX MF, at f4 the camera is stable at 1/15 second to even 1/7 second, handheld with the 32-64mm lens, (25.6-51.2 mm in 35mm terms).

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 11th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,488
Default

Some observations on "the rule of thumb" as to shutter speed:

This guideline is of course aimed at the matter of "camera shake", and has nothing to do with the matter of subject motion.

Of course, the use of image stabilization makes all bets off.

If we assume that the moment of inertia of (a) the camera rig in use, and (b) the typical full-frame 35-mm camera rig upon which the original establishment of the "rule of thumb" was empirically predicated, are the same (that is, they both respond the same angularly when "hand held"), then, to the extent that the "rule of thumb" is meaningful, we need to work it based on the full-frame 35-mm equivalent focal length of the rig in use.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:42 AM
James Lemon James Lemon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,783
Default

It is still a valid rule that allows a window for user error. Not all new cameras or lenses have image stabilization.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:55 AM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

To me, the image is what matters.

And this , Doug, is a good capture of a talented lady.

Best.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 14th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,488
Default

Hi, Fahim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
To me, the image is what matters.

And this , Doug, is a good capture of a talented lady.
Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!