Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Portrait in Natural Light Especially!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 24th, 2018, 01:03 PM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,361
Default Don't Forget

__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 24th, 2018, 04:44 PM
James Lemon James Lemon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post

A wonderful capture and great portrait. I wonder where life will take them?

James
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
It took a while!

But it is an excellent stratagem: to

1. Give no title and have us investigate the scene as if we had landed from a parachute to a new world.

2. Give a title that is obscure, such as, "Cemented Pebbles" which could conjure up as fixed state of limitations, a safe surface to walk and commence Alice's journey and so many other ideas one's mind discovers.

3. Provide, (as you have here), a "title", buried in a shadow of a seemingly "unimportant" part of the picture. This "text" becomes our first surprise. We are now put on notice that we have "work to do" to really approach the meaning of the photograph. Next, one has the job of exploring your intended meanings related to the apparent primary subjects, the two young girls, together on a long bare village street, "frozen in time".

This use of a title to a picture is such a great idea as it forces us to think, far better than either

1. Giving us an exactly documentary title

Or

2. Insisting that

"A picture must speak for itself!"

Which itself has never impressed me as either generous or useful!


Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 1st, 2018, 01:21 AM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,361
Default

James, thank you for stopping by.

' where life will take them '?

Good question. We can talk about possibilities or probabilities. I prefer probabilities. With that in mind, I have been very cynical in my old age. And am not very optimistic.

Sad, but I base it on what I see in these times.

Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
A wonderful capture and great portrait. I wonder where life will take them?

James
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 1st, 2018, 01:24 AM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,361
Default

Thank you Mr. Kelman.

I made the image. Fahim titled it on posting.

We both, Fahim and I, agree that it is the most poignant image made during my trip.

Thank you for your interest in the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
It took a while!

But it is an excellent stratagem: to

1. Give no title and have us investigate the scene as if we had landed from a parachute to a new world.

2. Give a title that is obscure, such as, "Cemented Pebbles" which could conjure up as fixed state of limitations, a safe surface to walk and commence Alice's journey and so many other ideas one's mind discovers.

3. Provide, (as you have here), a "title", buried in a shadow of a seemingly "unimportant" part of the picture. This "text" becomes our first surprise. We are now put on notice that we have "work to do" to really approach the meaning of the photograph. Next, one has the job of exploring your intended meanings related to the apparent primary subjects, the two young girls, together on a long bare village street, "frozen in time".

This use of a title to a picture is such a great idea as it forces us to think, far better than either

1. Giving us an exactly documentary title

Or

2. Insisting that

"A picture must speak for itself!"

Which itself has never impressed me as either generous or useful!


Asher
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 1st, 2018, 09:19 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Thank you Mr. Kelman.

I made the image. Fahim titled it on posting.

We both, Fahim and I, agree that it is the most poignant image made during my trip.

Thank you for your interest in the image.
What the selfish dismiss is that these not ourselves are our only future! If your children don't treasure my own, then there's no hope!








When we teach compassion and treasure just these two, we start to heal the world!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 1st, 2018, 09:25 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,766
Default

Ayesha,

You are holding up a lantern for us to see the world we have come to dominate. What you show is not merely poignant but has the paradox of being both wonderful and frightening at the same time.

We realize that sometimes, we merely just pass by with a smile hoping that somehow, molecules of gentle insurrection will bring about change for the better!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forget-me-not multispectral Dr Klaus Schmitt UV/IR Thermal or Xray Photography 0 May 9th, 2015 06:57 AM
Lest I forget.. fahim mohammed Layback Cafe 5 December 16th, 2009 11:09 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!