• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dead Flowers, A found Still Life, Barcelona '14...

Paul Abbott

I found these elements within a mortuary on my recent trip to Barcelona...

deadflowersinglasscolour1of1500_zps223c70a3.jpg

Untitled Still Life, (Found) '14 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW-3 21mm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I found these elements within a [cemetery] on my recent trip to Barcelona...

deadflowersinglasscolour1of1500_zps223c70a3.jpg

Untitled Still Life, (Found) '14 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW-3 21mm

Paul,

I'm rarely jealous, even of faster cars, more beautiful models or mansions far grander than my home. However, here I must admit a pang of angst that I never wandered past the graves beyond a visit to the graves of those lost in the Gallipoli Campaign in Turkey and as needed to get to a funeral, without looking around.

This shot of yours however, required stopping and donating your time, a fraction of your own life to take this picture, a tip of your hat, so to speak to someone already passed and to the folk who miss them. I find your work here to be quite moving and once again humbling.

I wonder whether anyone will stop to tip their hat at the dried flowers at my grave?

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, that's a nice way of looking at things, short of me actually taking a picture of this persons grave...

You know, photography is a funny ol' thing, you spend hours wandering around looking for a shot to present itself in some small way and then one falls into your lap, just like this. You never know what your going to get, but you better be there to notice it and take action...And so with this shot I noticed and it really made me feel fulfilled in capturing what was here in this frame, I felt really good about it before I even clicked the shutter...
These elements were so beautifully offered up to me; the light, the placement of the square glass vase and the way the flowers were arranged within, even the small green band offering up a colour contrast to that yellow...Very serendipitous, I couldn't have placed and reconstructed them any better.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

I might, if I may, visit a graveyard soon with my eyes open for such tokens of human memory, devotion and affection. After all, this is the very last place one can say, "I loved you, so!" or "Sorry!".

:)

Asher

Very beautiful quiet composition, reinforced by multiple surface qualitys and textures. It is a restful yet quietly uplifting visual experience.