• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dark portrait

From a series of portraits I did that are very dark and stylized. A swedish historian. Christopher O'Regan.
he was shot using two flash lights. One from behind and one in front that use the wall to reflect the light. I seldom use normal light modifiers nowadays. I like my wall =)

oregan_wide_yes_900.jpg

Per,

I was taken back for a moment with the quick glance and seeing a somber portrait the words "Regan" and "shot"! I was taken back to the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan by shots from Hinkley's gun!

Well this is indeed a dark and unusual picture. So what is your reason for this approach to portraiture. Also, could you explain your tiny little man figure on the left?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Why is the source of this message unclear?

Perhaps Per is a digital ventriloquist.

From a series of portraits I did that are very dark and stylized. A swedish historian. Christopher O'Regan.
he was shot using two flash lights. One from behind and one in front that use the wall to reflect the light. I seldom use normal light modifiers nowadays. I like my wall =)

oregan_wide_yes_900.jpg

Per,

I was taken back for a moment with the quick glance and seeing a somber portrait the words "Regan" and "shot"! I was taken back to the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan by shots from Hinkley's gun!

Hinckley.

Well this is indeed a dark and unusual picture. So what is your reason for this approach to portraiture. Also, could you explain your tiny little man figure on the left?

Asher

I believe that is Per's logo - P-P, no?

Best regards,

Doug

The tiny figure is my logo. My nick name is Pelle Piano ( from my musician days and I kept that ). So its a pair of P's with a "head" on to mimic a figure.
The reason I made these dark portraits is because I like to do find my own way. It started with a normal portrait. Then I made it almost black with some adjustment layers on top. And then I started to reveal parts of the image by painting in the layer masks. That way I could get a different look than the original.
Another portrait in the same style I posted some time ago. That one was the starting point.

hannes_bw_detail_crop_lightb_800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlotte Thompson

I love every bit of this kind of work- Fabulous. Shadow or dark work is very hard to do. This seems to take the art to another kind of level.

Charlotte-

Andy brown

Per, I agree with Charlotte that this is a particularly difficult genre.
The second image I find compelling, interesting and dark but I fear the first one misses the mark somehow.
I'm not quite sure why but I think it's one of two things, either his expression is too homely for a 'dark' image or he looks like someone who just used a cheap spray on tan.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can see the power of this style of shot from the second image.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Per,

I second Andy's comments.

The second of the two portraits to me makes much better use of this approach.

Best regards,

Doug

Per, I agree with Charlotte that this is a particularly difficult genre.
The second image I find compelling, interesting and dark but I fear the first one misses the mark somehow.
I'm not quite sure why but I think it's one of two things, either his expression is too homely for a 'dark' image or he looks like someone who just used a cheap spray on tan.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can see the power of this style of shot from the second image.