• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

new to the forum

Anthony Reilly

Hi everyone. i am new to this forum. i join to share my pictures an to see if there is anything special i can do with my camera. i have a nikon D5000, but i'm sure alot of people have better ones than that haha.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Anthony,

Hi everyone. i am new to this forum. i join to share my pictures an to see if there is anything special i can do with my camera. i have a nikon D5000, but i'm sure alot of people have better ones than that haha.

Better for what?

Welcome aboard.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anthony,

What a famous name! Any Irish left in you?

Our belief is that the keys to most good photography, more than almost any other consideration, are finding a subject, timing and position, the rest is just style, fashion and developed esthetics and some specal gear for special purposes. The D5000 camera won't hold you back!

Jump in and share images and look around the pictures!

Enjoy,

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Anthony,
Welcome!
Asher and Doug are correct - it isn't about the gear. Don't get your head messed up with that stuff.
I've seen people take better images than I'll ever take (many of whom reside here at OPF) - using home made pin-hole cameras, toss-away instant cardboard boxes or antiques my great-grandfather might have used!
Nevertheless, I persevere.
There's a lot to be learned here if you're willing to listen.
Have fun!

Nigel Allan

Welcome and top of the mornin' to ya
(Having said that you're probably no more Irish than I am but I couldn't resist)

I have come to the conclusion that most modern digital SLRs are pretty 'much of a muchness' and it's a matter of taste - what 'feels' good to you and what is comfortable is what will work best for you. Period. The only exceptions would be circumstances where the specifications of one camera would outperform another under, for example, low light or sports photography, but for most mortals they will all do the exact same job. They are tools and providing you have a good eye you'll get good pictures with anything pretty much. I think it was David Bailey who said all he needed was a Box Brownie, and I subscribe to that philosophy.

I have been on other photographic fora where the brand rivalry is so tribal it becomes distasteful and obscures the point of all this - to take pictures....which is why I ended up here and stopped looking elsewhere. The people here are great and have only one desire - to appreciate and share great images and to inspire their colleagues here to do likewise.

Most modern DSLRs are all so well specified and can all do about the same job. The only times I feel strongly about technical or specification issues with cameras are where I personally feel it is a design flaw or shortcoming, like for example electronic viewfinders on DSLRs (I guess technically they wouldn't be SLRs then). I don't care how much people rave about the Panasonics for example, I don't personally like the feeling of seeing my subject through the artificial interface of a mini TV screen instead of a prism. Does it make it less of a camera or less able to take great pictures? No. It's just personal taste as I like to feel more connection with my subject.

To be honest, I have a D300 but when I saw the specs of the new 'entry level' D3000s I am amazed at what you can now get for a quarter of the price I paid. I suspect that would be a great carry around tool and do just as good a job in 99.9% of situations I use a camera for and then some

Anthony Reilly

Anthony,

What a famous name! Any Irish left in you?

Our belief is that the keys to most good photography, more than almost any other consideration, are finding a subject, timing and position, the rest is just style, fashion and developed esthetics and some specal gear for special purposes. The D5000 camera won't hold you back!

Jump in and share images and look around the pictures!

Enjoy,

Asher

I couldn't actually my full names anthony patrick reilly an i was born on st. patricks day haha. but i am english (with a bit of irish in me ).

I will try an post some pictures on this thread.

thanks for the replies. Ant

Asher Kelman

How to post images for optimum effect in OPF!

Here I've dragged one of your pictures to a new browser window to get the URL address from the top of the browser window. Then I put it between
. Still, we can do far better. Adding a title, even Anthony Reilly: "Untitled" is nice.

Selecting all that syntax and clicking on the 5th icon for centering we can get white space around the image so it presents like in a gallery thus:

phantom2.jpg

Anthony Reilly: "Untitled"

The only change you might consider is providing a larger image, say 600-800 pixels wide, more only if it's detail-rich, or else use a 100% cut out to show detail.

Asher

Anthony Reilly

Here I've dragged one of your pictures to a new browser window to get the URL address from the top of the browser window. Then I put it between
. Still, we can do far better. Adding a title, even Anthony Reilly: "Untitled" is nice.

Selecting all that syntax and clicking on the 5th icon for centering we can get white space around the image so it presents like in a gallery thus:

phantom2.jpg

Anthony Reilly: "Untitled"

The only change you might consider is providing a larger image, say 600-800 pixels wide, more only if it's detail-rich, or else use a 100% cut out to show detail.

Asher

Thanks Asher

Chad Winker

Welcome!

While there is really not much I can add to the conversation, I just wanted to let you know that you will most likely love it here! While I don't really post, mostly because often times I feel I lack the vocabulary to hold my own in conversation or express what I am trying to say, I have learned more from watching people here and reading what they say in the last month than I have my entire life (albeit a relatively short life compared to some of the fine folks here)! This is truly a unique place you have found, and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I do. You would be hard pressed not to enhance your skills (and vocabulary) when working with the people on these forums.

That said, don't expect anybody here to 'teach you' rather, they will try to guide you in such a way that you learn the skill and develop it yourself into your own.

Nigel Allan

Welcome and top of the mornin' to ya
(Having said that you're probably no more Irish than I am but I couldn't resist)

I have come to the conclusion that most modern digital SLRs are pretty 'much of a muchness' and it's a matter of taste - what 'feels' good to you and what is comfortable is what will work best for you. Period. The only exceptions would be circumstances where the specifications of one camera would outperform another under, for example, low light or sports photography, but for most mortals they will all do the exact same job. They are tools and providing you have a good eye you'll get good pictures with anything pretty much. I think it was David Bailey who said all he needed was a Box Brownie, and I subscribe to that philosophy.

I have been on other photographic fora where the brand rivalry is so tribal it becomes distasteful and obscures the point of all this - to take pictures....which is why I ended up here and stopped looking elsewhere. The people here are great and have only one desire - to appreciate and share great images and to inspire their colleagues here to do likewise.

Most modern DSLRs are all so well specified and can all do about the same job. The only times I feel strongly about technical or specification issues with cameras are where I personally feel it is a design flaw or shortcoming, like for example electronic viewfinders on DSLRs (I guess technically they wouldn't be SLRs then). I don't care how much people rave about the Panasonics for example, I don't personally like the feeling of seeing my subject through the artificial interface of a mini TV screen instead of a prism. Does it make it less of a camera or less able to take great pictures? No. It's just personal taste as I like to feel more connection with my subject.

To be honest, I have a D300 but when I saw the specs of the new 'entry level' D3000s

here is my edit: Sorry, I meant D3100 (but it just shows how little I pay attention to 'kit')

I am amazed at what you can now get for a quarter of the price I paid. I suspect that would be a great carry around tool and do just as good a job in 99.9% of situations I use a camera for and then some

NB I edited the entry above

Anthony Reilly

So what you think of the pictures then? I just take these pictures as something to do when i'm at the centre .

Also i dont know what its called but i would like to know how to put pictures onto a black background to see what they look like and would like to know how to make things "disappear"

Thanks Ant.

Asher Kelman

So what you think of the pictures then? I just take these pictures as something to do when i'm at the centre .

Tell us about the "Centre" Where is it and what's it about and who funds it?

Also i dont know what its called but i would like to know how to put pictures onto a black background to see what they look like and would like to know how to make things "disappear"

Thanks Ant.

Tell us what software you have for image processing and we'll go from there in a new thread.

Asher

Anthony Reilly

Tell us about the "Centre" Where is it and what's it about and who funds it?

Well its in manchester and its called wild wings. its a bird of prey centre which also also takes in unwanted and rescue birds aswel. We have 2 eagles 1 black vulture, 7 falcons, 4 harris hawks, 1 ferruginous buzzard, 2 specticled owls 3 bengal eagle owls, 1 european eagle owl, 7 barn owls, 2 mottled owls and 2 ural owls.

Tell us what software you have for image processing and we'll go from there in a new thread.

Asher

All i know is its Epson easy photo print. =/ dont really know much about it to be honest sorry.

Asher Kelman

Anthony,

What computer do you have and s their anything of a budget for software. There are a variety of choices from Photoshop elements and iphoto, (free with a Mac) to sophisticated major software or there's free software like GIMP. It's important to have some software to be able to tweak your images.

However, it all depends on what resources one can cobble together.

Asher

Last edited:

Anthony Reilly

Anthony,

What computer do you have and s their anything of a budget for software. There are a variety of choices from Photoshop elements and iphoto, (free with a Mac) to sophisticated major software or there's free software like GIMP. It's important to have some software to be able to tweak your images.

However, it all depends on what resources one can cobble together.

Asher

Asher

To be honest i would just like to know how tho erase things off pictures and a black background if you could tell me what software does this than i wuold appriciate it very much.

Thanks Ant

Asher Kelman

A copy of Photoshop 7 is all you really have to get! It's a bit old fashioned but perfect for most of my needs. Still, I use CS4 and CS5 too. If you can afford it, the latest Photoshop CS4 or CS5 will allow the most simple to use but sophisticated high quality extraction of objects from their background.

There are tons of tutorials online. just think of what you want and type extraction of background photoshop tutorial, for example and you'll have all the lessons you would need in a second! Similarly for basic image corrections in Photoshop or cloning out objects in Photoshop. So everything you might imagine you need is always within a moments reach online!

Good luck!

Asher