• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Horizons 8

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Our New Horizons are free from the tyranny of oppression and the indoctrination of archaic beliefs and unworldly gods. We offer a place where all can share their own thoughts without the risk of persecution, enjoy the company of neighbours, be they of colour race or creed, and walk the streets in safety.

If there is one thing that we are assured of in this place is that recycling day is every second Thursday. If there is one thing we would hope for in the future is that the bins are emptied of their contents as we might expect.

There is more on New Horizons at: www.notesfromthecamera.blogspot.com

James Lemon

Our New Horizons are free from the tyranny of oppression and the indoctrination of archaic beliefs and unworldly gods. We offer a place where all can share their own thoughts without the risk of persecution, enjoy the company of neighbours, be they of colour race or creed, and walk the streets in safety.

If there is one thing that we are assured of in this place is that recycling day is every second Thursday. If there is one thing we would hope for in the future is that the bins are emptied of their contents as we might expect.

The image says something about the immense strength that culture has on society and how people think in groups. I am not totally convinced on the merits of recycling and how it is accomplished. Do these bins promote homelessness sponsored by local government politicians or are the homeless the real recyclers of the world?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
A curious perspective, James.
I might bewitch you on the recycling thing. I see it as a jest urge more than a functional action. It has the effect of keeping some people busy, others have a sense of doing something, politicians gain points, and manufacturing of wheels bins provides employment.
I didn't see the homeless connection.
Thanks for your comment. My thoughts now run in a different direction

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Tom,

An interesting challenge - garbage and social statements, ( two here - the "Welcome sign" from Aussies and the implied good being done by collecting recyclables), as part of a challenging artwork is possibly great, depending on what follows. Does this represent a "voice"? Or else this is just a clever jab at relevance and a brief entertainment and nothing more.

Asher

James Lemon

A curious perspective, James.
I might bewitch you on the recycling thing. I see it as a jest urge more than a functional action. It has the effect of keeping some people busy, others have a sense of doing something, politicians gain points, and manufacturing of wheels bins provides employment.
I didn't see the homeless connection.
Thanks for your comment. My thoughts now run in a different direction

Hi Tom

People root through garbage containers for different reasons. Some are in need, others not so much. Does it enable the homeless?

James

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

People root through garbage containers for different reasons. Some are in need, others not so much. Does it enable the homeless

I'm an old guy, and easily confused.

It seemed to me that the last I noticed the discussion here was about recycling containers, not garbage containers.

Maybe its just a difference in regional terminology. Pop, soda, soda-pop, Cokes. Milk shakes, frappes, frappés. Subs, hoagies, grinders. Garbage, garbage, garbage.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Hi, James,

It seemed to me that the last I noticed the discussion here was about recycling containers, not garbage containers.

Maybe its just a difference in regional terminology. Pop, soda, soda-pop, Cokes. Milk shakes, frappes, frappés. Subs, hoagies, grinders. Garbage, garbage, garbage.

Best regards,

Doug

You may be right Doug.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Tom

People root through garbage containers for different reasons. Some are in need, others not so much. Does it enable the homeless?

James

Are you saying that garbage has its function in enabling the homeless, James? If that be the case I'm leaving mine out more often.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, James,

Best regards,

Doug

A lesson in dialect, Doug, for when you should visit.
Bins - receptacles for all sorts including garbage (rubbish); hence 'garbage bin' or 'rubbish bin'or just 'bin'. As in "put it in the bin".
Rubbish bins with wheels are called 'Wheelie Bin'obviously.
Red lidded wheelie bins are for general biodegradable rubbish (household) and the yellow lidded bins are for recyclable material (glass, metal, paper)
Wheelie bins are also favoured by teens for racing at night and for disposing of cats (bin usually filled with water first). Either colour lid will do.
The bins are collected twice weekly except for the yellow lidded which are collected every second Thursday.
The collector of such rubbish drives a big white truck. He's called a bin man and takes the rubbish to a 'Tip' where the rubbish is stockpiled, composted and sorted. Methane is collected from the composting site and used to fuel generators. The electricity is diverted into the main grid and into our homes where we will make more rubbish and continue the cycle: hence the term 'recycle'.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

An interesting challenge - garbage and social statements, ( two here - the "Welcome sign" from Aussies and the implied good being done by collecting recyclables), as part of a challenging artwork is possibly great, depending on what follows. Does this represent a "voice"? Or else this is just a clever jab at relevance and a brief entertainment and nothing more.

Asher

I had an idle moment while Christine was having a check up at the dentist. Alleys are a source of inspiration to me. Bins even more so. The sign caught my attention. It seemed contrary to its purpose; tattered and misplaced. The bins added to that. Why would such as sign be displayed in the middle of the suburbs on traditional aboriginal land. I doubt the indigenous would have posted the sign, but that might be my prejudices showing through a thin veil of tolerance. There was a hint of warning as well. We welcome you but only as second class citizens delegated to the darker places. The locked bin implied even the garbage wasnt for your perusal.'

Christine's teeth were fine. Thanks for asking.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

A lesson in dialect, Doug, for when you should visit.
Bins - receptacles for all sorts including garbage (rubbish); hence 'garbage bin' or 'rubbish bin'or just 'bin'. As in "put it in the bin".
Rubbish bins with wheels are called 'Wheelie Bin'obviously.
Red lidded wheelie bins are for general biodegradable rubbish (household) and the yellow lidded bins are for recyclable material (glass, metal, paper)
Wheelie bins are also favoured by teens for racing at night and for disposing of cats (bin usually filled with water first). Either colour lid will do.
The bins are collected twice weekly except for the yellow lidded which are collected every second Thursday.
The collector of such rubbish drives a big white truck. He's called a bin man and takes the rubbish to a 'Tip' where the rubbish is stockpiled, composted and sorted. Methane is collected from the composting site and used to fuel generators. The electricity is diverted into the main grid and into our homes where we will make more rubbish and continue the cycle: hence the term 'recycle'.

Thank you for all that. I knew some of it, but that is very thorough.

Here "garbage" is almost universally used to mean the domestic stuff that typically includes orange peels, coffee grounds, and paper towels from the kitchen. In most parts of Alamogordo, including our house, it is put in large bins in the alley behind the house - ours has a capacity of 450 gallons - and collected there twice a week.

But the taxonomy for the rest of the disposable material varies by city. Traditionally, "trash" meant the other household stuff (like old nails, obsolete hairbrushes, broken hand tools, and the like.) Here in Alamogordo that is put out with the garbage, but in many cities it is the subject of a separate, less-frequent collection. But here in Alamogordo, if I have a large item of "trash" (maybe a broken chair, or an old piece of wall paneling), that is set out in front of the house and you call the disposal contractor to find out what day and to have them be sure and come by. And it is spoken of as "bulk pickup material".

"Recyclable" material is another matter. Here in Alamogordo we have no pickup of such, and if you want to dispose of it properly you go to one of several stations and toss it into one of several large truckable bins. But in many cities, it is picked up on an established schedule in special containers (you would call them bins, and most are in fact wheelies).

One thing that has retarded the development of an overall climate of recycling here is that, although in theory the city sells what is collected (most electric power is not generated by government entities so it can't get directly into that stream). But in general, the economic structure doesn't yet work well, so in many cities the homeowner was charged extra by the city for participating in the recycling program, so most citizens just said "screw it" and kept putting their tin cans and old newspapers in the garbage.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Here we are talking rubbish on OPF.
That makes for a change.
I'm not confident in most of the recycling projects here in Australia. They seem too limiting in their impact. What they possibly do is generate some interest in otherwise uninterested people. Kids at school for example. Hopefully they will have a different ethos as they grow up and apply it to more radical programs.
The wheelie bin is a bit of a symbol of our times here in Australia as well as the UK. I can comfortably say without fear of contradiction that the cities are a lot cleaner than they were. People are also more aware of environmental issues and politicians scramble for the green vote.
My suspicion is that the rubbish has been swept under the carpet.