• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Q: DIY photobag from Timbuk2

Dierk Haasis

pro member
This may stretch the intended meaning of 'Storage' a bit but there's no specific board for accessories etc.

Since no photo bag on the market meets my needs remotely - Billingham is close but has some other problems, like not being distributed in Germany, being too small, and having abysmally bad dividers - I decided to build my own. The base will most likely be a Timbuk2 messenger bag, since I do like the simplicity, workmanship and design of them. Messenger bags have proved to be an ideal cross between rucksacks and shoulder bags, being easy to access and carry even on a bike, motorcycle or while running.

Years ago I bought a custom-made Timbuk2 Classic Messenger in what is now called Large or X-Large (I think it was Ochp then), and have been very happy with it. Currently, when I use a bike or motorcycle to get around, I simply put in the Billingham 445 for a q'n'd improvised messenger-style photo bag. A few months ago Timbuk2 hit the market with the new Pro Series Messenger, which is comparably larger and features another weave of polyester. It looks very promising on paper.

Unfortunately the brand isn't that fashionable in Germany it seems. Although I do see people but me using smaller versions of the Classic line, the shops (on-line and stationary) at most have two handfuls of those Classic ones. I could order one blind but no shop will take it back if I decide not to buy it; distribution and service is a bit sun-par.

Has anybody seen or used a Timbuk2 Pro Series Messenger and can tell me a bit about it?