• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Jim

Andy brown

B+W portraits are something I do very rarely and I really don't tend to encounter many people in my wanderings with camera.

Anyway, I have been thoroughly enjoying the works of James and Antonio of late so I couldn't resist the temptation when this fella showed up.

DSC_5866%20Jim%20screen%20size_zpsmspsfjok.jpg

I'm very happy for any tips on how to improve the PP.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Andy,

B+W portraits are something I do very rarely and I really don't tend to encounter many people in my wanderings with camera.

Anyway, I have been thoroughly enjoying the works of James and Antonio of late so I couldn't resist the temptation when this fella showed up.

Very nice. I'm not sure the PP needs improving!

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Andy

This is nice!!

I don't do much to my images apart from basic adjustments such as expospure,fill light, ect. So I don't know much about PP conversions, and I don't use any software programs apart from lightroom.

The challenge isn't really about finding a look that you like on the computer. Contrary to what most people might think, printing in B & W is not easy. Regardless of whether you are shooting film or digital you will have to meet the challenge of avoiding unwanted colour casts, and other artifacts, in your prints. So you must consider the final result and fit that into your workflow. BTW thank you for the kind words!

Best, regards
James

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,
Contrary to what most people might think, printing in B & W is not easy. Regardless of whether you are shooting film or digital you will have to meet the challenge of avoiding unwanted colour casts, and other artifacts, in your prints.

How is it that we could get color casts when printing in B&W?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Hi, James,

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Doug

I am a photographer, not a printer. There are a number of different variables that can cause colour casts. Type of paper, printer, and the processing involved are some examples.

Best, regards
James

Jerome Marot

If we were enlarging on B&W photo paper or printing with only black and grey ink, we would not. But, often, we use processes able to print colours and then calibration is tricky.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

If we were enlarging on B&W photo paper or printing with only black and grey ink, we would not. But, often, we use processes able to print colours and then calibration is tricky.
Sure.

I rarely do any "serious" conversion of color images to B&W. When I do, I make sure that the resulting image is monochromatic (by forcing it to such in my editor).

My current "photo" printer does not have the option of forcing only the use of black ink, and I have no idea what strategy it has for rendering colors that are only shades of gray, so I suppose it could use other than black ink to do such. If its internal "calibration" were wrong, that could lead to a "color cast" in the printed image.

Perhaps it is not normal when using more sophisticated B&W conversion processing in post processing to force the final result to be monochromatic.

Thanks for your insights.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Andy, this is a very nice image. The gentleman
Appears to be a very likable person.

Printing in b&w can get tricky, as Jerome
Mentions. Although my screen and printer calibration
Seems ok, but artifacts can unexpectedly bring an
Undesired result. I also have to contend with nozzles
Getting dusty leading to uneven performance from
Pic to pic.