• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: An Olive Tree and a friend

fahim mohammed

p2044108195-6.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

What happened to the olive tree and the friend.

Interesting, Fahim that I am imagining a lone Olive tree. I remember how Hagar sheltered with Ishmael under a tree from the overbearing heat of the Sun.

So this post is complete for me. The title by itself and the empty space are, together, sufficient for us to receive some share thought with this motif!

If this was a test, do I pass?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

This link worked at one time, but it seems to be dead now.

Best regards,

Doug

Still works for me! I have no problem creating the world the title triggers. All the best pictures are incomplete in some way to allow us to enter and fill in the blanks. This one allows us freedom to do so without artificial limits, an interesting exercise!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Still works for me! I have no problem creating the world the title triggers. All the best pictures are incomplete in some way to allow us to enter and fill in the blanks. This one allows us freedom to do so without artificial limits, an interesting exercise!

Ah, well, I'm just an old telephone engineer. Guess I don't have enough imagination to be a real patron of les artes. I can't really appreciate a work that is all blanks.

But it you ever find that you really want to see the picture, and can, you should. It is a way cute picture of Ayesha.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Ah, well, I'm just an old telephone engineer. Guess I don't have enough imagination to be a real patron of les artes. I can't really appreciate a work that is all blanks.

Well that's interesting as I would have thought the opposite. Don't you imagine solutions in 3D when just given a problem of where humans interact with mechanics?

Or you go straight to the formulae?

Friday, driving back from one of the factories where I am building a steel sculpture, I turned off the radio to allow me to solve the problem of child deaths due to front seat collapse backwards after a + 30 mph rear collision impact. I was able to come up with and visualize a list of solutions each with the parts and then how they would fit and be used and the mode and cost of manufacture. It was thrilling and straightforward but I wondered about how the mysterious process works in one's mind. I did not need to do calculations as I know by experience a lot of tensile strength and failure limits and have an instinctive "gestalt" approach. I will have my engineer check my ideas but usually I have over engineered.

But it you ever find that you really want to see the picture, and can, you should. It is a way cute picture of Ayesha.

Yes, she is a beautiful lady and charming. But that is superficial for an avid mountain climber, mother and grandmother and educated self driven competent person of worth to be a role model for young girls growing up. She, not Ali exemplifies the humanity one can achieve, not by beating other people but by engaging and setting high standards and goals for oneself.

Not to disparage Ali. But to me his example of human prowess is not his victories in the ring knocking other fighters in the head until they fall helpless to the ground, putting himself at great risk and climbing on a ledge to persuade a would be jumper to calm down and accept the challenge of living with and coping instead of a tragic death.

Ali did help to make a lot of blacks feel self worth, and for that he is to be credited to the sky, but few knew of his one act of selfless bravery that would even earn a murderer salvation!

But the beautiful thing about Ayesha is that she is both alive and well but also has exemplary influence on youth, normally held back for economic, cultural or social reasons, but we do not have ever to make excuses for her!

In a way, she is like the super hero who has clothing changes according to her role at the time. One moment she may be in a Hijab or Burkha and another time she is in khaki visiting poor students in Africa or dressed against biting cold and the glare of the sun against the white snow and ice, climbing Mount Everest.

That perhaps is why, in this thread, I just needed a title and a blank screen and I can easilly fill in the rest with a variety of apt scenes related to Fahim and his world!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Well that's interesting as I would have thought the opposite. Don't you imagine solutions in 3D when just given a problem of mechanic
or do you just think of the formula. Friday, driving back from one of the factories where I am building a steel sculpture, I turned off the radio to allow me to solve the problem of child deaths due to front seat collapse backwards after a + 30 mph rear collision impact. I was able to come visualize a list of solutions each with the parts and then how they would fit and be used and the mode and cost of manufacture. It was thrilling and straightforward but I wondered about how the mysterious process works in one's mind. I did not need to do calculations as I know by experience a lot of tensile strength and failure limits and have an instinctive "gestalt" approach. I will have my engineer check my ideas but usually I have over engineered.

Yes, of course, I often have such experiences (I have to be careful that they do not result in my injecting an inappropriate insulin dose in preparation for lunch).

But you have run with the goalposts here. The original issue was a case where a photo submitted by one of our respected members was not visible, owing to some technical glitch, and you said, in effect, "That doesn't matter", because your intellectual capability allowed you to construct an equally-important image wholly in your mind.

That is certainly true, and wondrous, but your presentation of that fact here was, to me, an insult to the photographer involved.

Then you, with no "bridge", shift gears and speak of (Muhammed) Ali, certainly an important topic, but not one that had been introduced in this thread.

I know that when we write here we often have many different thoughts in our heads, but good editorial practice suggests that there be some premise for a segué from one topic to another.

And I'm not at all sure what is the premise for saying that "we do not need to make excuses for Ayesha." Certainly not. And not for you, or for me, or for the late Muhammad Ali.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

.........I know that when we write here we often have many different thoughts in our heads, but good editorial practice suggests that there be some premise for a segué from one topic to another.

Best regards,

Doug
Doug,

Of course you are right! I do go off at times. However, I just thought Fahim was continuing to allude to my previous use of the word "mirage", originally mentioned here.

That then triggered my imagination. I saw two possible high ranking scenarios and went with the Hagar story as that is the most vivid and dramatic.

However, right now, the large block headlines on the news are on the nobility of Ali. That is the context with the fixated adulation in large print next to my coffee cup! I do not go for such heroes of violence, and certainly not one who suffered himself the brain damage such violence has inflicted, as expected, on tens of thousands of others addicted to that "sport".

I am outraged by our choice of heroes, folk like Trump whose simplified views on life inspire the right and Ali whose lifetime of battering other folk in the ring in the name of sport makes him "the greatest"!

It just occurred to me that we would do far better to treat ordinary noble individuals as heroes than the personalities conjured up by publicity.

So yes, I do not always fully justify my zigzagging discourse, but today, I just wanted to say thanks to the many modest ordinary folk who are also exemplary and would give up their shirt to help a stranger. To me, Ayesha represents the best of these lesser known heroes!

Yes, my mind does wander off course, (try reading the Talmud). Here the diversion was triggered by my mind continually going back to my large library of ideas to fill an empty image's boundaries. That is the advantage, (and cost ), of a blank sheet of paper or a title otherwise devoid of guidance!!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Of course you are right! I do go off at times. However, I just thought Fahim was continuing to allude to my previous use of the word "mirage", originally mentioned here.

That then triggered my imagination. I saw two possible high ranking scenarios and went with the Hagar story as that is the most vivid and dramatic.

However, right now, the large block headlines on the news are on the nobility of Ali. That is the context with the fixated adulation in large print next to my coffee cup! I do not go for such heroes of violence, and certainly not one who suffered himself the brain damage such violence has inflicted, as expected, on tens of thousands of others addicted to that "sport".

I am outraged by our choice of heroes, folk like Trump whose simplified views on life inspire the right and Ali whose lifetime of battering other folk in the ring in the name of sport makes him "the greatest"!

It just occurred to me that we would do far better to treat ordinary noble individuals as heroes than the personalities conjured up by publicity.

So yes, I do not always fully justify my zigzagging discourse, but today, I just wanted to say thanks to the many modest ordinary folk who are also exemplary and would give up their shirt to help a stranger. To me, Ayesha represents the best of these lesser known heroes!

Yes, my mind does wander off course, (try reading the Talmud). Here the diversion was triggered by my mind continually going back to my large library of ideas to fill an empty image's boundaries. That is the advantage, (and cost ), of a blank sheet of paper or a title otherwise devoid of guidance!!

Asher!

Well said. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug