• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let me bother you with my portraits

Antonio Correia

Hello Asher,
He was a very good student while in a famous University in Lisbon.
He went to the US for a degree and has been there for a couple of years... I think he will not come back here.
Try to read his CV
:)
-
Another one. This time a woman, for a change :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Asher,
He was a very good student while in a famous University in Lisbon.
He went to the US for a degree and has been there for a couple of years... I think he will not come back here.
Try to read his CV
:)
-
Another one. This time a woman, for a change :)

Such wonderful people from Portugal who like their famous ancestors, go out to explore the world. If these are the exports, we are enriched! I would want more of them to enrich us with value and art. However, that is selfish!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Klaus and Asher :)

In the lady's image I took some 4 hours.
You may find too much. It is indeed. But I did it twice !
These portraits are not difficult to do ! :)

Regards ! :)

Asher Kelman

Thank you Klaus and Asher :)

These portraits are not difficult to do ! :)

Regards ! :)

What absorbed you for 4 hours, Antonio: the shooting, Luisa feeding her or the processing afterwards?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

It is never too much if it leads to the result you seek!

Your portraits are just superlative in so many ways. The subjects of course are all wonderful. Then there are the poses and the expressions. You will probably say, "Well, they do all that!" And of course they do. But you make it happen.

Then there is the lovely tonal scale you attain, bringing us the best of the wondrous medium of black and white photography.

These portraits are not difficult to do !

Of course not. For you.

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

What absorbed you for 4 hours, Antonio: the shooting, Luisa feeding her or the processing afterwards? Asher

Luisa always gives tips. I don't like the light there, I like this and that, and so on... :)

I spent much time because I have been carefully working on the photograph over and over until I get a get a good result or at least, a look that pleases me.

As I have told here before, I leave the image for some hours and when coming back, I see certain issues to solve.

In fact, many Portuguese went abroad with the crisys. On the radio teh other day that about 110.000 went abroad between 201 and 2014... many qualified persons !
i-TjDdttx-M.jpg

@ Doug
Thank you Doug for your kind words ! :)
-

I post today another portrait I made the other day in an exhibition held in Sesimbra (some 30 km from Setubal)
The light was a simple flash bounced inside a 3m square room.

i-wW9R49D-XL.jpg

Antonio Correia

Thank you Doug !

Not all portraits are successful. But why shouldn't I post a "not so good" one ? I see no reason. Humans fail...

I must come back to it and try to recreate the treatment. Refine it.

Thank you for commenting ! :)

Andy brown

Thank you Doug !

Not all portraits are successful. But why shouldn't I post a "not so good" one ? I see no reason. Humans fail...

I must come back to it and try to recreate the treatment. Refine it.

Thank you for commenting ! :)

I totally agree, I post not so good ones all the time.....

Asher Kelman

A portrait I made a couple of hours ago...

i-WtVtfFd-XL.jpg

Antonio,

Interesting fellow. He looks comfortable with himself and content.

Have you photographed him previously? He seems familiar!

However, unlike the stunning Ana Sendas, you write no essay! Where is the interesting back story!

Asher

Antonio Correia

He is a physician born and working in Setúbal. I know him for quite some time now. He has assumed important roles in the local Hospital and at the University in Lisbon.

I just made 6 shots of him. Some were not so spontaneous like this one. Here we were talking about the posture of the portaris of my collection as far as I remember.

As usual I used two flashes, one with an umbrella.

Ana Sendas is just a young dancer in her forties living in Denmark whom I know since she was born. In fact, even before, as I know her mother and father since when we were 10.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the description. I love the pictures anyway, but your descriptions adds the humanity of a person that might be in my own neighborhood!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Reviving an old thread...

i-FFf89fp-X3.jpg

Wow, Antonio!

I never thought that I wouldn’t ask for a portrait from you to be in your signature B&W!

This is a glorious surprise. The color adds so much identity to her.

This is another dimension of reality.

Having this portrait follow so many impressive classical Correia B&Wcpictures I would have though was risky. But she stands head and shoulders with them all and may well put your portraiture on an entirely new level.

In our 2015 Angeles exhibition, The Director of the “National Portrait Gallery”, from London spent the most time at your work. He told me how impressed he was!

I think you have gone further. Kudos!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Interesting technique and series of specific decisions, especially for a meticulous photographer as you are by nature!

I like that you included the detritus on the ground, even half of a plastic bag, as they all provide valuable context.

Who is thatcwoman who made herself lovingly “adopt” and for the moment “own” these dear folk?

A lot of stories in there!

Asher

Antonio Correia

:) :)
The woman in the middle is an European who came who me. The society is a matriarcal one in this region of India (Meghalaya). Look how the one on our left quickly "owned" the European...

But since we are in Meghalaya...
We were asked if we would like to smoke corn beards...

i-m44RrTP-X3.jpg