• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fringing when looking through viewfinder of 550D

Alex Weiss

Hi,

I was wondering if any other 550D owners (which is great, by the way) are experiencing fringing when looking through the viewfinder. In my case, it is yellow/blue fringing, and it seems to change depending on how I position my eye (I'm talking about very small movements here). It is quite noticeable, up to the point where it is distracting. However, the pictures turn out fine and without fringing. Also, the effect seems to be independent of the lens I use.

Any ideas? Is it normal? I've never experienced this with previous DSLRs.

Thanks,
Alex

Nill Toulme

I haven't noticed it but I'll check. Same with different lenses?

I do really like this little camera. Wish they'd make a FF version!

Nill

Alex Weiss

I haven't noticed it but I'll check. Same with different lenses?

Thanks, I appreciate it. And yes, it happens with all my lenses (which doesn't make sense to me).

Try it with a subject with sharp edges. It's most noticeable there.

I do really like this little camera. Wish they'd make a FF version!
Yes! My hunt for affordable yet fast wide lenses would be over ;)

Nill Toulme

How fast is "fast?" You can have a lot of fun and get a lot of dandy results with a 15mm f/2.8 fish on a 1.6x crop, either de-fished or not.

Nill

Bob Latham

I wonder if this could occur if the entrance surface of the pentaprism wasn't perpendicular to the axis of the incoming light....ie, a slightly skewed pentaprism or the mirror not quite resting at 45 degrees?

Bob

Hannah Gershwin

Hi!

I'm totally new to photography, but I recently bought the 550D and I noticed that too. But then, I onyl have the kit lens so far (cause I'm not good enough for the real stuff yet), so I'm nt sure whether it's a lens or a camera problem.

Would you mind explaining what could be causing that? i.e. what that fringing is?

thanks!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Not happening on mine, Alex. I've used several lenses with it. My viewfinder is edge-to-edge clean. I suggest sending it for service. Something's out of alignment.

Alex Weiss

Thanks for all the answers. I suspected that something is wrong.
Great. Of course, something like that has to happen one week before I leave for LA. Oh well.

Thanks for all the answers. I suspected that something is wrong.
Great. Of course, something like that has to happen one week before I leave for LA. Oh well.

I'm not so sure, Hannah also experienced something like that. Could it be dispersion from the eyepiece diopter and the penta mirrors? It doesnt affect the image itself, does it?

Cheers,
Bart

Alex Weiss

I'm not so sure, Hannah also experienced something like that. Could it be dispersion from the eyepiece diopter and the penta mirrors? It doesnt affect the image itself, does it?

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,
Yes, it doesn't affect the image. What exactly it is or why it occurs, however, I don't know, as I don't know enough about camera manufacturing. Quite frankly, I'm puzzled. It is pretty noticeable, too.

@Hannah: How noticeable is it in your case?