• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Online film emulation

Robert Watcher

I came across the website of a JS Developer named Jason Wagner, who has created an Online Film Emulation Application that anyone can run their images through.

http://29a.ch/film-emulator/

I wanted to test and see just how good the looks were. To my eye, I recognized the look of many films that I used to use in my professional and personal pleasure film shooting days.

While the website is not able to use specific file names, I think like myself, any familiar with the popular films of the day can figure out what the emulations are. I simply applied the STOCK LOOKS without customizing with Grain, Vignette, Vibrance, Contrast and Brightness - all which are possible for refining the look.

This thread will be a little PHOTO HEAVY (WARNING) - but it may give an idea of possible looks with the few that I have selected that I regularly used. Starting with a photo I recently took of one of my granddaughters.

ORIGINAL FILE:
TravelLiteShootHeavy-20150603-P6032476.jpg

Robert Watcher

For the above I started with an image file that was already resized to 960 pixels, for speed. But I also wanted to try a full resolution file, randomly picked off of my hard drive with absolutely no corrections or processing - dodging and burning etc.

The speed to save the file was not terrible. This is a good app for processing a few photos at a time and saving them back to your computer or desktop. After saving and processing the full size files, I then resized in Photoshop to website for inclusion in this post.

ORIGINAL IMAGE:
TravelLiteShootHeavy-20130120-E1201520.jpg

Robert Watcher

I know that there are a pile of FILM EMULATORS around - many that are more easily integrated into desktop software - - - but here is another, and it is FREE. Great to for quick run throughs when posting an image or two on the web or Instagram or Facebook etc. no need to open Photoshop or other. So quick that way

Online Film Emulator: http://29a.ch/film-emulator/

-------