• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon's 200-500mm lens

Chris Calohan

It's sharp at all focal lengths and as far as I have been able to ascertain in the two weeks I've had mine, it's sharp at all apertures at each focal length. The bokeh at 5.6 is creamy soft. It is a heavy lens, but 2 lbs lighter than the 150-600 Sigma Sport which I tried first. Focus lock is a bit more difficult with the 200-500 than with the 80-400 I was previously shooting but once I got the hang of it and of learning to use my ring finger for a quick manual focus, I've had only a few problems since.

I'm shooting this lens coupled to the D810. My only complaint so far is the cost of filters. I did order a gimbal head for shooting more static scenes or where the wildlife wasn't as likely to be flying overhead. All in all, for the money, I find it to be a sweet lens.

23727221201_ef5f256046_b_d.jpg

So that's it, we shed these shells and get feathers and wings?: Chris Calohan​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's sharp at all focal lengths and as far as I have been able to ascertain in the two weeks I've had mine, it's sharp at all apertures at each focal length. The bokeh at 5.6 is creamy soft. It is a heavy lens, but 2 lbs lighter than the 150-600 Sigma Sport which I tried first. Focus lock is a bit more difficult with the 200-500 than with the 80-400 I was previously shooting but once I got the hang of it and of learning to use my ring finger for a quick manual focus, I've had only a few problems since.

I'm shooting this lens coupled to the D810. My only complaint so far is the cost of filters. I did order a gimbal head for shooting more static scenes or where the wildlife wasn't as likely to be flying overhead. All in all, for the money, I find it to be a sweet lens.

23727221201_ef5f256046_b_d.jpg

So that's it, we shed these shells and get feathers and wings?: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

Forget competitions. Of course they will love this but to me this is worth making children books. Just make the pictures and then you can write the stories to go with them.

This is superb in magic and child friendliness!

Asher