• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Flame On!"

Dr Klaus Schmitt

29402087628_1ef4e70107_o.jpg

Meyer Kinon 75mm projection lens from 1904 (!!)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

This (my) lens was made 1904, just shortly after the invention of cine projection, and the Meyer lens books
document it as an early store demo lens, never meant to be sold. Quite a find actually as only a handful of them were made...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
29402087628_1ef4e70107_o.jpg

Meyer Kinon 75mm projection lens from 1904 (!!)

For many millenia, it was a challenge for painters to get such rich reds. We always knew that nature possessed such pigments but only in the Conquistador colonization of South America did such colors become available for painters. This one color far surpassed the wealth Spain accrued from plundered gold.

It came from a lonely beetle that the native South Americans had selectively bred and cultured and processed with dung and more in secret fermentation recipes!

...and today, we take it for granted that we can enjoy this same color with no effort or great expense either as your transient flower, you photograph or by visiting any museum of art!

But actually, this color red is the equivalent, in esthetics, of harnessing steam power in industry!

Such red, before photography was the stuff of Roses in Royal Gardens and prince’s palaces.

I think all this when I look at your beautiful red flower!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

What a wonderful story and indeed I now remeber about this fiere red that came from South America!
How great we can now find such colors here, just apposite my house actually and ban it to a digital
medium using such an old, impressionistic painting lens!!
Klaus

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Klaus
Another wonderful image!
I wonder which ICC profile you use as sRGB cannot (afaik) such gradients with reds…
I had a look with PS and your image has no icc profile embedded…
Would you mind sharing this info?

Colorspace.png