• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Composite

Nikon D4S ,Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR
1/800s f/8.0 at 1000.0mm iso6400
original.jpg

Joe Loper

Love the shots. What might help is taking into account where the main light should be coming from, in this case the sun. And adjust the owl accordingly. I'd burn the sides to match the shadows in the water and and maybe just have his face lit well.

It might help to blur he edges of the rock and feathers to show some DoF as well. Great start though. Very clean.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Love the shots. What might help is taking into account where the main light should be coming from, in this case the sun. And adjust the owl accordingly. I'd burn the sides to match the shadows in the water and and maybe just have his face lit well.

It might help to blur he edges of the rock and feathers to show some DoF as well. Great start though. Very clean.

Joe,

I have thought through your suggestions for “image optimization”.

For sure this is entirely appropriate for a magazine editor.

So, you may be editorially correct, but isn’t this a matter of “personal style”, or are you implying standards of “rightness” or “wrongness” in image development and the build of composites?

I, myself, in studio lighting, tend to make clean outlining of major elements too, but really should start getting more effort into painting with angels’ brushes with more gently wrapped light.

I know I can do better myself. But does the O.P. ‘s image really “need” improving, or shouldn’t we take this as “personal style” and therefore, it’s just as it should be?

Asher

Last edited: