• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Day at the Races

John Harper

Hi There

I have been quiet on the posting front since my return from holiday at the beginning of October, but i thought i would share some pictures from a Day at the Races i attended on Friday.

Not really being a big horse racing fan i wasn't too sure what to expect but thought i would have a go to see what sort of pictures i could get.
I had no special access i was just stood at the side of the course like other members of the public, but you could get pretty close to the action.

I was shooting with my 1D MKIIN and 70-200mm F2.8 I could have done with something longer but the weather was very changeable and at 2.8 its the fastest longish lens that i have and most of the time it was pretty dull.

As always comments and critiques welcome.

John

Shot 1 200mm 1/800 @ F4 ISO 400

race1.jpg

Shot 2 200mm 1/640 @ F2.8 ISO 640

race2.jpg

Shot 3 200mm 1/800 @ F2.8 ISO 640

race3.jpg

Shot 4 200mm 1/800 @ F2.8 ISO 640

race4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

You were really close! I had the 70-200 2.8 IS and the horses where really small!!

I like the action you have caught. That guy was so lucky! You were not only lucky but fast!

Good job!

Asher

Greg Rogers

Hi John,
Great shots. Favorite is the first, though the fall sequence is very good. Shows you are quick and experienced with moving subjects...without a doubt (oops, Asher already said that but I'll leave it in anyway). Pity, that last shot is outstanding taken in context, only above-average as a stand-alone picture, if that makes sense.

May I ask about the weather / sky conditions? It looks as if it was a rather dull and dreary overcast...and not too bright? Maybe even a late afternoon overcast (darker yet)?

I'm asking because I continue to do battle with my shots at and around 200mm and knowing for sure the weather would help me make some comparisons on a similar day here. Thanks for posting the exposure data.

BTW, were Harpo, Groucho, or any of the other Marx brothers in attendance?

and TIA for the weather briefing,
Greg

Last edited:

John Harper

Hi John,
Great shots. Favorite is the first, though the fall sequence is very good. Shows you are quick and experienced with moving subjects...without a doubt (oops, Asher already said that but I'll leave it in anyway). Pity, that last shot is outstanding taken in context, only above-average as a stand-alone picture, if that makes sense.

May I ask about the weather / sky conditions? It looks as if it was a rather dull and dreary overcast...and not too bright? Maybe even a late afternoon overcast (darker yet)?

I'm asking because I continue to do battle with my shots at and around 200mm and knowing for sure the weather would help me make some comparisons on a similar day here. Thanks for posting the exposure data.

BTW, were Harpo, Groucho, or any of the other Marx brothers in attendance?

and TIA for the weather briefing,
Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, yes the weather was pretty crumby overcast for most of the time and an occasional gap in the clouds when the sun came through, generally between races though :(

As for the Marx Brothers i didn't see any of them but i believe "Duck Soup" was on the corporate hospitality lunch menu, and a group of people were going on after the races for a "Night at the Opera" :)

John

Greg Rogers

As for the Marx Brothers i didn't see any of them but i believe "Duck Soup" was on the corporate hospitality lunch menu, and a group of people were going on after the races for a "Night at the Opera" :)

Ha!

Hi John, thanks for the info. I'm now looking forward to a similar gloomy day.....I'll do some tests with my 18-200 Nikkor at 200mm and similar exposure settings as your presumably Canon zoom and see what I come up. Thanks again.

Regards,
Greg