• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Soccer season is here ...

Nill Toulme

Time to crank up. Let's see what y'all are doing and get some discussion going. Here are a few from my first creaky outings, a couple with black & white unis in bright sun and a couple in the darkest stadium in the county — well over a stop underexposed at 1/400 f/2.8 ISO 3200, and salvaged (well OK, not quite) in the C1 RAW conversion plus some NoiseWare. Ugh...

080209-dhhsvg-090_std.jpg

080209-dhhsvg-259_std.jpg

080211-dhhsvb-081_std.jpg

080211-dhhsvb-173_std.jpg

Apropos of the recent question regarding Mark II vs. Mark IIn — in the maybe-good-news dept., my n is AF'ing kind of OK in this cave-like environment, whereas my previous Mark II's pretty much threw up their hands and quit here. The bad news is I'm seeing some banding in these images (mind you this is effective ISO 6400-12800) that I don't recall ever seeing from my II's. Wishing for a Mark III... :-( (Actually I'm mainly hoping I don't have to shoot under the "lights" in this stadium very often!)

Complete matches with EXIF and slideshows here.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like the shots of healthy sports that you keep bringing us Nill! This is an amazing human activity that can really make individuals excel making the team win.

You capture the efforts kids make in making it. How much correction leeway do you allow when your shots aren't perfect? Is this like news and holy?

Asher

Nill Toulme

Heh... depends on what you mean by "correction." I won't clone a ball in, but I'll very occasionally clone a foot or a hand out. And I often intentionally crop to make the players look like they're a bit farther off the ground than they really are, but that's just cropping, where all's fair as far as I'm concerned.

Most of my "correction" is simply in shot selection after the fact. My "keeper" rate is about 10%.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Marian Howell

hi nil!
great shots as usual - that first one really grabs the attention fast :))) i like #3 alot too.
however, as much as i lust for lacrosse season to start (not all of us shoot soccer LOL!) so i can stop shooting at iso 1600 it is still a good month + away, at least for outdoors...and so we are still in the midst of ice hockey season, hanging around in cold rinks freezing our fingers off and trying to keep warm batts at hand...:))))))
91938406.jpg

Marian Howell

yep, through the glass :) some rinks are better than others LOL!! the bad glass shots look like the old 30's+40's films that were shot with vaseline on the lens...it's a challenge but the shots from ice level are worth it.

Marian Howell

thanks for the suggestion. i had already done a round of de-hazing to get it where it was - your version looks too black on my monitor, a look i try to avoid. your wb does have more "bite" to it, but i tend to favor warmer wb, rightly or wrongly LOL! i hadn't done any curves on it yet, this is just the result of mass production to get the shots up - cropping+straightening, settle on a general wb for the game shoot, exposure check, and a run through noise ninja. i spend time on the finishing work when the parents order prints/books :)

Nill Toulme

Interesting... I didn't change the blacks or the WB (or the colorspace)... just a brightening curve above the low end, and USM of maybe 15/50/0. ;-)

Marian Howell

LOL that's what makes processing fun :))) at least for me!
on my monitor the whites look brighter and the black shorts look blockier...well, no worry since no parent will be buying this - i work for the team in the white shirt!

Roland Allemand

Great work Nill. When do you changing from AV to M in low light settings to stop action, assuming f2.8, shooting at 4pm w/ light cloud cover and changing to stadium lights by half-time? I also use a IIN. Where do I find banding on your shots?Thanks, Roland

Nill Toulme

Roland I shift from Av to M about the time the light falls to 1/400 f/2.8 ISO 1600, then go to ISO 3200 as it continues to fall, then just stay there and underexpose rather than lose frames to motion blur. The banding isn't very apparent in these shots but is in some others, especially unprocessed (I typically block up the shadows in night sport shots to mask the noise, and I also hit these with NoiseWare, which I almost never do for web images). You might be able to see it in this one, in the block of green to the right of the players:

080211-dhhsvb-049_std.jpg

Slightly more detail on my exposure approach in the Sports Basics thread.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net