• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Mortuary

I can't remember ever seeing a mortuary in a cemetery before. The place is Fort Francis, Ontario. Cheers, Mike.

mortuary_2_dsc7202_small_by_rufusthered-d8a93c5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I can't remember ever seeing a mortuary in a cemetery before. The place is Fort Francis, Ontario. Cheers, Mike.

mortuary_2_dsc7202_small_by_rufusthered-d8a93c5.jpg

Michael,

Yes, you're right, very unusual. There seems little room for storage of extra coffins. This is a sensible setup!

Hmm, I wonder what they do about the hearse? Do they dispense with it altogether and simply have the "bearers' carry the coffin directly to the grave site?

Asher

I don't know about the use of the mortuary nowadays, Asher. A peep through the window showed a largely empty building.

Fort Francis is (or maybe was) was a paper mill town the length of a bridge away from another paper mill town of International Falls in Minnesota. You can see part of the now idled Fort Francis mill behind the trees to the left of the mortuary.

A mortuary appropriately symbolizes the possible fate of both towns. The Fort Francis mill closed this year with 700 jobs lost. The owners blocked a buyout by a Wisconsin company by its refusal to provide access to timber at a "reasonable price". The International Falls mill this year idled one of its paper processing machines with about 1/3 of the workforce no longer active. Such boom/bust cycles are common in the resource based economy of northern paper mill and mining towns. Some recover, others do not. Whether Fort Francis recovers may largely depend on whether the Ontario government changes its legislation to allow access to timber at lower cost without endangering the economies of other paper mill towns.

Cheers, Mike.