• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Great Gray Owl

Doug Herr

In mid-January a Great Gray Owl suddenly made an appearance at northern California's Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and for about a month was putting on a great show for human visitors. The bird seems to be more secretive now, if it's still in the area... but I managed a quick trip to Humboldt County while the bird was so accommodating.

ggowl01.jpg

ggowl00.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In mid-January a Great Gray Owl suddenly made an appearance at northern California's Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and for about a month was putting on a great show for human visitors. The bird seems to be more secretive now, if it's still in the area... but I managed a quick trip to Humboldt County while the bird was so accommodating.

ggowl01.jpg

ggowl00.jpg

If we didn't know that such creatures are real, we'd see this as a Disney creation. We all recognize owls but they are so amazing with the circular feather pattern round their eyes, I would think an artist just conjured that up!

Asher

Dave Butcher

Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird. I have found that although I love Street Photography and Photo Journalism that going out someplace and sitting and watching and waiting for Birds and wildlife is such a fantastic way to relax. At least once a week now I am out shooting birds and wildlife.

Andy brown

Dave, it's definitely a wonderful thing to do.
I often struggle to find time for wildlife photography but I always enjoy it when I do.
I don't have any prime long lenses so I need to rely on stalking and stealth to get close to wild creatures. This can be frustrating at times when after crawling on my belly across sand I finally get nearly close enough and the flock of terns will fly off and settle 50 metres away down the beach.
But when it's good it can be really good and surprises can happen too.

Doug Herr

I often struggle to find time for wildlife photography but I always enjoy it when I do.
I don't have any prime long lenses so I need to rely on stalking and stealth to get close to wild creatures. This can be frustrating at times when after crawling on my belly across sand I finally get nearly close enough and the flock of terns will fly off and settle 50 metres away down the beach.

One way to resolve this problem is to let the tide push the terns toward you.

Dave Butcher

I have to to at times since even where I go to they tend to run away.

Doug Herr

But then, does one need a hide or to be covered?

It may help sometimes but not always necessary. My portable blind is camo mesh netting that I throw over myself with the lens sticking out (the Hooded Merganser photos were made this way) but if I sit quietly long enough I become part of the background scenery and they ignore me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It may help sometimes but not always necessary. My portable blind is camo mesh netting that I throw over myself with the lens sticking out (the Hooded Merganser photos were made this way) but if I sit quietly long enough I become part of the background scenery and they ignore me.

I need one of these to fit in socially, LOL!