• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hooded Mergansers

Doug Herr

Golden Gate Park, San Francisco:

homerg03.jpg

homerg04.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco:

homerg03.jpg

homerg04.jpg

Doug,

This is interesting behavior!

I have visited the park several times and seen a lot of ducks and swans but never this bird.

I am impressed that it would venture to eat such a complex geometrical shape, especially as it is covered with an exoskeleton armor plate articulated shell! I have seen sea birds drop these from a height on rocks and so smash them to get access to the meat. Is this bird going to do the same or do the odd pieces get somehow twisted off and swallowed without loosing the rest of the crab to another scavenger?

Asher

Andy brown

Classy stuff Doug.
Interesting portraits. They seem slightly distant or other-worldly.
Trying to humanise animals' personalities is always difficult but extremely captivating.

Doug Herr

Doug,

This is interesting behavior!

I have visited the park several times and seen a lot of ducks and swans but never this bird.

I am impressed that it would venture to eat such a complex geometrical shape, especially as it is covered with an exoskeleton armor plate articulated shell! I have seen sea birds drop these from a height on rocks and so smash them to get access to the meat. Is this bird going to do the same or do the odd pieces get somehow twisted off and swallowed without loosing the rest of the crab to another scavenger?

Asher

The bird ate the crawdad out of my sight so I don't know for certain but I believe it's eaten whole. The American Bittern eats them whole.

ambitt10.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The bird ate the crawdad out of my sight so I don't know for certain but I believe it's eaten whole. The American Bittern eats them whole.

ambitt10.jpg

I guess they crush them and then everything becomes flexible and then they just swallow, LOL! I saw videos of herons eating birds or a pelican eating a rabbit. These are really dinosaurs with normally good manners.

Asher