• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brown-breasted Kingfisher (Halcyon gularis)

Pao Dolina

Brown-breasted Kingfisher (Halcyon gularis) by alabang, on Flickr

The Brown-breasted Kingfisher (Halcyon gularis) is a tree kingfisher found in the Philippines. This kingfisher is a resident over much of its range, although some populations may make short distance movements. It can often be found well away from water where it feeds on a wide range of prey that includes small reptiles, amphibians, crabs, small rodents and even birds. During the breeding season they call loudly in the mornings from prominent perches including the tops of buildings in urban areas or on wires.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-throated_kingfisher

Location: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doña_Remedios_Trinidad,_Bulacan

Last edited by a moderator:

Pao Dolina

Wow! That was a good catch. You discovered it in your picture afterwards or you watched it go down?

My guide pointed it out to me. Was surprised I was able to record him about to eat it that sharp in spite of the 1/200 shutter speed. If I could do it again I would have upped it to 1/500 to make it frozen.

Brown-breasted Kingfisher (Halcyon gularis) by alabang, on Flickr

Upon the recommendation of a user I have desaturated my bird as it was generating blown highlights and false colors.

I posted the slightly out of focus image because I felt that the subject matter of the bird eating was stronger and conveyed a compelling story.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The first image vanished so I copied the second to show the bird. If you want the blurred one to show, post it again and I will replace it in your first post!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Frankly, Pao, if my grandson had painted this bird with his new paint set, I would have assured him that nature would never give such a plain rust- colored bird such a splendid "coat of many colors" for his jacket!

This delightfully flashy splash of color over its wings and back looks like a drab bird put on something from a fashion catalog of wings from Victoria's Secrets!

Asher