• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Black-crowned night heron

Dave Butcher

I was out at Floyd Lamb State Park on the out skirts of Las Vegas this past weekend when I was able to shoot this amazing photo:

Black-Crowned Night Heron

Black-crowned%20Night%20Heron%20WM%200001-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was out at Floyd Lamb State Park on the out skirts of Las Vegas this past weekend when I was able to shoot this amazing photo:

Black-Crowned Night Heron

Black-crowned%20Night%20Heron%20WM%200001-XL.jpg

I am impressed thrice!

• First that you have the energy and devotion to go out of your living space to reach such a creature. Kudos!
  • Second that you have framed the bird in the behavior of trying to handle a large fish.
  • Third that birds have such sophisticated musculature to be able to handle the moment of force that such a large mass creates on the neck and beak. Imagine if an ape caught a deer and tried to wrangle it into its mouth, just using its jaw and neck muscles?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Dave,

How long have you been a "birder"? I'd have recognized that it was indeed a heron. But did you just glance at it and know it's almost taxonomic name?

Asher

Dave Butcher

Dave,

How long have you been a "birder"? I'd have recognized that it was indeed a heron. But did you just glance at it and know it's almost taxonomic name?

Asher

I have always enjoyed being out in the open spaces and it was not until recently that I decided to join two of my loves. The love of photography and the love of Wildlife and work on wildlife and Bird photography. I started getting serious about identifying the beautiful creatures that I shoot in the past month and a half. I still chase fires when they happen when I can get out and photograph them, but that has not been for a while.

I belong to a few wildlife, outdoor, and birding photography sites and I had to research and ask what kind of bird this was.

Dave Butcher

I shot this photo a couple of weeks ago at the Clark County Wetlands Park. When I shot this photo I was sitting on a small hill and drinking coffee and relaxing. This is the things that I like to do on my days off. And these are the things that help me get my blood pressure down to the normal range.

CLARK COUNTY WETLANDS PARK

RUSHING%20WATER%20CCWLP%200001-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

I shot this photo a couple of weeks ago at the Clark County Wetlands Park. When I shot this photo I was sitting on a small hill and drinking coffee and relaxing. This is the things that I like to do on my days off. And these are the things that help me get my blood pressure down to the normal range.

CLARK COUNTY WETLANDS PARK

RUSHING%20WATER%20CCWLP%200001-X2.jpg

I commend the time investment in experiencing the simple beauty of the unspoiled outdoors. So much goes on without any apparent effort, just the nature of things. It all seems to work. There's a constant cycle of natural wild plants and life forms that depend on the environment that we tend to cover up with concrete.

Fresh air and spotting nature is a big change from the petty complaints we have in living close to one another and trying to read each other's motives.

Keep it up.

Asher