• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Signing prints

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
I have become a big fan of FineArt Baryta 325gsm for my photography, print sales and now gallery exhibits. Could anyone recommend a pencil type that is suitable for signing my prints?

Thank you for your consideration.

Mike Shimwell

Ian,

Sorry, I know this sounds obvious, but do you definately want to use pencil? I've started using an 'archival' rollerball for signinf gloss prints - it writes realy nicely on the coating, it's just a pity about my handwriting!

Mike

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Ian,

Sorry, I know this sounds obvious, but do you definately want to use pencil? I've started using an 'archival' rollerball for signinf gloss prints - it writes realy nicely on the coating, it's just a pity about my handwriting!

Mike

I would like to use pencil, I have not found an ink alternative I like yet, but open to suggestion. And yes after typing on keyboards for so long, it is actually difficult to write.

Mark Prins

I have been using a Pilot gold ink extra fine pen to sign my images. . Not a roller ball but a brush type almost a applicate ? pen. I get mine now at Staples. The photographer who suggested this to me is going blind now but she carted her 4x5 and her darkroom through the Yukon in the 1940's through the 1980's. Her wet process prints she signed then are still bright and shiny and haven't done any damage I can see. Hope this helps.

Mark Prins
www.inandaimages.com

Mike Shimwell

Hi Ian

I'm using a Mitsibishi uniball with a gel grip!! It writes very nicely on coated paper, but doesn't look like pencil - too black.

Mike

I use an HB lead in an old-fashioned drafting lead holder to sign the back of my prints. If I'm delivering a framed print, I typically sign the inner mat with a sharpie.

I mount my photos in a completely reversible manner and signing only the mat would allow the print to become separated from the signature if it were to be reframed.