• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Returning To Pasadena with the Colburn Conservatory Orchestra.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Colburn Orchestra, with guest conductor Miguel Harth-Bedoya, performed at the Ambassador Auditorium on Saturday, March 6th, performing works by Benzecry, Poulenc and finishing with an inspiring performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.

The opening work by Argentinean composer Esteban Benzecry was especially appreciated for a large class of mostly Hispanic high school students. They were seated in a block to the right of me upstairs in the rear balcony. Everyone of them was like me, spellbound and engrossed in the music.

The composer was "born in Lisbon in 1970. He studied musical composition with Sergio Hualpa and Haydee Gerardi in Argentina. He moved to Paris in 1997, where he studied composition with Jacques Charpentier's, Professor of the Conservatoire Superieur de Paris. He obtained the "Premier Prix a l'unanimitè" in composition in 1999. He also studied composition with Paul Méfano, and Electro acoustic music with Luis Naon and Laurent Cuniot. He is the author of three symphonies (his first symphony, "El compendio de la vida" from 1993 is inspired on four of his own canvases) as well as symphonic and chamber works. His most recent works attempt a fusion between rhythms with Latin American roots and the diverse aesthetic currents of European contemporary music creating, a personal language, an imaginary folklore.

"Le Monde de la Musique" has called him a distant heir to Villa Lobos and Ginastera because of his imaginative use of the Latin American musical patrimony." Source is the composer's interesting website.

Make sure you listen to the music sample recordings on the left hand column"Azteca Wind god", "Maya Water God", and "Inca Thunderclap God"

_MG_2313_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: The Colburn School of Music conservatory Orchestra
Guest conductor Miguel Harth-Bedoya,
At the Ambassador Auditorium March 6th, 2010

Canon 5D Mark I, 70-200 2.8L IS at 70mm 1/160 sec at ISO 400

_MG_2313 100 percent crop_1.jpg

100% portion

_IMG_2313 100 percent crop_2.jpg

100% portion

_MG_2324_800.jpg

Starting off the orchestra with everyone's good thoughts surrounding him!!​

Miguel Harth-Bedoya, conductor of Latin origin, formerly Assistant conductor at the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Walt disney concert Hall), conducting music by a Latin composer was a welcome return to his LA fans. He was also a source of pride for Hispanics and that was evident in the audience.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Some may wonder why I chose the 5D and not the 5DII. Good question! It's just that one of the gold contact pins which is supposed by be spring loaded has gotten stuck in the depressed position and so my favorite camera has to go to Canon's hospital! I used available light at the beginning of the concert so as not to worry the musicians that they would get flashed and distracted throughout their performance! Then one can use flash during the applause as they are already past the worrisome waiting to start.

Asher

Asher Kelman

More pics to follow. Feel welcome to comment! Joining OPF is free, so if you are following along, consider registering!

John Angulat

pro member
Very nicely done! Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us.
The "lighting gods" seem to have been smiling upon you favorably.
ISO 400! I'm sure that allowed you a bit of breathing room.

Cem_Usakligil

Very nicely done! Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us.
The "lighting gods" seem to have been smiling upon you favorably.
ISO 400! I'm sure that allowed you a bit of breathing room.
Hi Asher,

I agree with John, you are making great progress and we are proud of you. :)
Thanks for the pictures but also for the great stories.

Cheers,

Rachel Foster

I'm just jealous. Oh, the opportunity for such a shoot! When I get over my envy, I'll say what a nice job you did, Asher.

Ok, I'm over it now. Nice job!

Asher Kelman

Thanks Rachel, Cem and John for stopping by! It's really great for me to have you see what I'm having fun with!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

The Colburn Orchestra, with guest conductor Miguel Harth-Bedoya, performed at the Ambassador Auditorium on Saturday, March 6th, performing works by Benzecry, Poulenc and finishing with an inspiring performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.

This is wondrous work, about a wondrous activity.

I so enjoy the multi-layer nature of your work with the Colburn, weaving together music, culture, community, and, of course, photography.

Your narratives both reveal the breadth of your outlook and tie the work together so that a pile of nice bricks becomes a wondrous building.

I am of course very intersted in music, but more broadly, I am always delighted to hear the competent, enthusiastic discussions of someone truly inserted in, and knowledgeable about, any topic.

Thank you for the work you not only put into the photography but also in preparation the packages in which you deliver it to us.

We are fortunate to have Maestro Harth-Bedoya at the podium in our nearby city of Fort Worth (although we too rarely take advantage of that).

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

This is wondrous work, about a wondrous activity.

I so enjoy the multi-layer nature of your work with the Colburn, weaving together music, culture, community, and, of course, photography.

Your narratives both reveal the breadth of your outlook and tie the work together so that a pile of nice bricks becomes a wondrous building.

I am of course very intersted in music, but more broadly, I am always delighted to hear the competent, enthusiastic discussions of someone truly inserted in, and knowledgeable about, any topic.

Thank you for the work you not only put into the photography but also in preparation the packages in which you deliver it to us.

We are fortunate to have Maestro Harth-Bedoya at the podium in our nearby city of Fort Worth (although we too rarely take advantage of that).

Doug,

Good you pop by! Maestro Harth-Bedoya is well worth the visit to Fort Worth! The music will be such an experience for you. It's very reachable and one doe not need to have any special training to have a boisterous and electric experience. He's that good!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

Thanking you for extending your hand, here, to us who try to express music through words and images and can only ever give a glimpse of the richness we experience.

It means a lot for you to visit! It's even more meaningful that you obviously have spent some time with my images and that's appreciated.

Asher