• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Best tri-pod head for portraits?

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
This is best achieved with a hand cranks and levers on the head.

I disagree. When Manfrotto adapted the video heads under the name of three-way heads I thought they were very good. Took me some time to realise that real ballheads are much smoother, faster and more flexible.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you shoot portraits you might want to mount your camera on different tripods in the store and try it. I shoot a lot and a ballhead has too many directions to move. So you should see for yourself what you actually prefer.

Certainly for height, a crank is very helpful. All the subject has to do is lean forward and the eyes are on the wrong plane.

Just my experience. Buying without trying is to me not a wise move. For outdoors, ball heads are great and so os Really Right Stuff. I have bought a lot from them and I hear only great things about their ballheads, although I don't own one.

You can't, however, buy something for as intimate a process a portrait photography by simply getting someone else's opinion, especially if that's not what they usually do!

Hand cranks can be as smooth as silk!

Asher

Jan Luursema

If your are shooting a lot of verticals I would certainly get an L-bracket. Probably put it on a ballhead, like the RRS. Kirk and Markins also have good ballheads (I'm using a Kirk BH-3). But a 3 way head might be just as easy.
I've been wanting an L-bracket for quite some time, but I switch camera to much to invest in an accessory which is camera specific :p

Jan Luursema

Asher Kelman said:
Jan, what 3 way head would you buy if you were not cash-limited?

Asher

Well Asher, I really don't know since I've never used or investigated one. But am I wrong assuming 3 way heads are pretty simple in construction so any head from a good manufacturer will be good?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jan,

There are differences in how easy it is to tighten and loosen the knobs/levers. I'll do a search and post!

Asher

David Robertson

I don't shoot portraits, but perhaps the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head is suitable. It weighs 3lb and has a max load of about 11lb. I 've had one for years and its still silky smooth and precise in operation. If you need something a bit beefier then there is the Manfrotto 405 Pro Geared head, but I have no experience of it. Both come with a quick release plate.

Kind regards

Dave

Scott B. Hughes

the Arca-Swiss B1 head is sweet.

Yes, the photographer needs to pay attention. The versatility and speed steps all over any heads which use multiple levers to make adjustments.

IMO!

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Manfrotto 488RC2,
Great head, small, light and will hold like a vise! Pistol grips are IMHO no where near as strong. Also you can set the tension so you can move it around but when you stop it just stays. Also great bang for the buck- go and try one!

highly highly recommended!

Kevin Bjorke

Pistol grips are big but I like mine a lot (Bogen 3265). Ten years w9ithout ever worrying about it being strong enough (for 35/MF/digi)