• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Paco...

6978820_orig.jpg

I'm sorry to announce that Paco de Lucia is not among us anymore….

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Paco de Lucia who has been described as “one of history’s greatest guitarists” has died aged 66.

The son of a flamenco guitarist he was born Francisco Sanchez Gomez in Algeciras in south east Spain. It’s reported he was in Mexico where he had lived for five years in the late 1990s relaxing on the beach with members of his family when he suffered a heart attack. The Mayor of his home city has decreed two days of official mourning in memory of the musician who took the genre of flamenco – the traditional gypsy music of Spain beyond the borders of his homeland.

He was introduced to the guitar at an early age by his father who imposed a strict regime on his son forcing him to practice the guitar up to 12 hours a day every day to ensure he would find success as a professional musician. It paid off and de Lucia became a world renowned figure not just for his genius playing flamenco but he was also influential in classical and jazz circles while he gained recognition as a producer and composer as well.

Eric Clapton referred to de Lucia as “a titanic figure in the world of flamenco guitar”."

Video and Source, EuroNews with a music video.

May he rest in peace and his music continue to inspire a new generation.

Asher

During the 80s, John Mclaughlin, Paco De Lucia & Al Di Meola formed a guitar trio which toured all over the world, I was lucky enough to be present in one of those concerts, …a real experience! The trio that they formed, is said to be the "best guitar trio of all times" by experts.

A later full performance of the trio can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_5YZbmLI4c there are several records made, both live and studio from this project and of course all Paco's records are available in both CDs and vinyl… Personally, I find the vinyl versions even more enjoyable.