• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shellscape

Paul Abbott

These are a selection seashells i've collected in my travels with a mind of setting up a still life with them. My processing of the shot came about by accident and I ended up liking what I achieved. I have kept this in the 'cooler' for a couple of weeks without looking at it, but now that I do so with a fresh pair of eyes and I still like it...I'm always aware of gimmicky approaches lasting all of 2 seconds. :D

Shellscape '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Macro Focus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are a selection seashells i've collected in my travels with a mind of setting up a still life with them. My processing of the shot came about by accident and I ended up liking what I achieved. I have kept this in the 'cooler' for a couple of weeks without looking at it, but now that I do so with a fresh pair of eyes and I still like it...I'm always aware of gimmicky approaches lasting all of 2 seconds. :D

Shellscape '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Macro Focus

Paul,

"Shellscape" evoked images of the iconic works of Edward Weston and so I thought you were awfully brave as an artist!

Well, you had an entirely original viewpoint and I'm enjoying it!

Asher

Andy brown

Paul,

I just came across this again (couple of years down the track).
I have a few of these specimens in my own collection.

Very inspiring. Wonderful composition and treatment.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Paul
It does remind me of a drop of wall paper my sister in law has in her toilet, but don't let that deter you from pursuing this line of enquiry. She has quite a nice toilet, as toilets go.
Not having ever really been a collector of bric-a-brac and the like, I'm curious as to what constitutes a collectable shell. If you were a hermit crab I could understand your fascination, but I know you're not a hermit crab since hermit crabs can't handle a camera as far as I know.
The other ting is, shells seem to have a distinct and identifiable colour. I wonder why you went for blue.

Andy brown

Tom, what makes a shell collectible is its innate beauty.
They are gems to be admired. gifts from the 'creator' and the ocean.

I can bring my family a selection of superb FRESH seafood caught (and skilfully filleted and cooked to perfection) by my own hand and it is of course well received but bring a perfect mauve urchin core and I'm revered. If I bring a sailor on the wind or heaven forbid, a perfectly sundried weedy sea dragon....well, I'll let your imagination work that one out.

Drop the grudge!
It says more about you than him.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, what makes a shell collectible is its innate beauty.
They are gems to be admired. gifts from the 'creator' and the ocean.

I can bring my family a selection of superb FRESH seafood caught (and skilfully filleted and cooked to perfection) by my own hand and it is of course well received but bring a perfect mauve urchin core and I'm revered. If I bring a sailor on the wind or heaven forbid, a perfectly sundried weedy sea dragon....well, I'll let your imagination work that one out.

Drop the grudge!
It says more about you than him.

Very romantic concept, Andy. Thanks for the insight.
Not sure if I can get to that level. Paul obviously can.
I feel like I should apologise at this point for not conforming. Photographs have an effect on me that might not seem 'normal'. I don't think of them as 'like' or grading them on a scale of superlatives.
Each photo raises thoughts which lead to questions, usually about the shooter.
I'm less interested in the photo and more interested in Pauls motivation.
Sorry, Paul. I seem to be talking over you like you're a corpse.
Shells are OK? Seems to be plenty about. They are just a form of protection for the original owners.

Andy brown

They are just a form of protection for the original owners.

Just as houses, streets, wheelie bins, fences etc. are to me.

Man made sh!t bores me to tears. Most people too btw.
A single grain of sand holds more fascination for me than the grandest architecture, the finest art.

Shells; billions of years in the making, unbelievable strokes of luck, chance, laws of physics and on to 'create' them.
Now that deserves a little reverence. However it is displayed.
Excuse us for being romantics. Sure beats being a grumpy old coot.

Tom, get a bloody root for gawd's sake!

fahim mohammed

Paul.

Like Andy, I have come late to this wonderful image. Visually enchanting, aesthetically appealing.

And Andy has summarized its wonder better than I could.

p.s. And mathematically intriguing.