• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

playing with the new lens

Doug Herr

I recently acquired a Sony FE 100-400 GM and spent an hour in my backyard photo blind (A 'target-rich' environment) to learn how best to use it. First usable picture, an Oak Titmouse:

oatitm11.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I recently acquired a Sony FE 100-400 GM and spent an hour in my backyard photo blind (A 'target-rich' environment) to learn how best to use it. First usable picture, an Oak Titmouse:

oatitm11.jpg

Just as I suspected, Doug,

This amazing bargain of a lens, (at $2,498), competes well with the quality of the stellar Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM (with built-inExtender 1.4x)!

Only there is a huge difference in price. The canon lens cost some $10,900 at this time. For what it's worth, DXO, has tmrwted the Sony lens as edging out the Canon champion!

I wonder how much you cropped? Using either. 24 MP APS-C line of Sony A camera's or the A7RII or III should provide enough pixels to make fabulous prints.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Doug,

oatitm11.jpg

A lovely shot. Congratulations on your new lens, which in its first public appearance seems to have knocked the ball out of the park. Or to be more precise, to be the bat with which you knocked the ball out of the park.

Best regards,

Doug K

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Had I realized how great this new FE mount Sony lens would be, (and such amazing value for money), then I might have settled for the Sony FE mount A7RIII instead of the camera with a slightly better sensor, the GFX!

Unfortunately, the lens to sensor distance in the Sony is so short, that, unlike Canon lenses, Sony A7 mount lenses are unlikely to be adapted for the equally short-throuted Fuji GFX camera I own.

Asher

Doug Herr

Doug,

A lovely shot. Congratulations on your new lens, which in its first public appearance seems to have knocked the ball out of the park. Or to be more precise, to be the bat with which you knocked the ball out of the park.

Best regards,

Doug K

I spent some quality time with the new toy yesterday. Damned good lens.

DSC04107_fm.jpg

Antonio Correia

Gorgeous images Doug ! The lens is indeed a pretty good one !

I have been looking at your site and I was amazed how many photographs you have. All very nice, precise... exquisite ! Kudos !

:)

Peter Dexter

I too took a look at your site and you certainly have many great images there. I especially like the Shrike and have only very rarely seen one.