• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

High Key Photography

Michelle Jones

I just ran across some images done in this format. How is it done? Can it be done without a studio? I LOVE the effect. Can you simulate this with PSCS2?
Michelle

Tim Armes

Hi Michelle,

Can you be more specific about what it is you want to achieve? High key means different things to different people.

Normally, however, most things in a high key photo are white. You need to dress the model appropriately, etc. The white background (is that what you're referring to) is best done in studio.

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Michelle,

Could you find some pictures that you would like to emulate. Then we could work backwards. That way we can see a lot of creativity.

This is a great topic, BTW.

Asher

I do mine in a bathtub! =D

Seriously, I was thinking "high-key" when I took this because of all the white reflective material in the tub. I turned up my flash Ev to +2 and started timing her movements...

Does this meet the criteria?

honeyintub.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
When I was a teen there was a very popular cheap mens' after shave named High Key Rotty...any relationship?

Sorry.

Michelle: Pick up a good book on photographic and cinema lighting. There are dozens of titles. One of the better is Light Science & Magic; An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter and Paul Fuqua (Focal Press). If you're not that serious about the subject, doing a basic Google search will summon basic info.

The answer to your direct question is no, high-key lighting is not a Photoshop effect. It requires some real lighting gear and skilled craftsmanship to do well.

Alain Briot

pro member
High Key means an image in which the highlights, or high tones, dominate. The "key" to the image, the most important aspect of the image (as far as tones are concerend) are the high tones, hence the name high key. Some high key images have no low tones, or no shadows.

Low key is the exact opposite. In a low key image the low tones, or the shadows, dominate the image. The "key" to this type of image are the low tones (again, in regards to tonality) hence the name low key. In some low key images there are no high tones whatsoever.