• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Learning portraiture

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Practice and more practice

Much, Much better.

Now for Cropping - that makes it great digitally, but when you go to print it might not fit the paper the way you thought. One more thing to think about when you crop is standards of paper, frames and mat!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Hallmark of good photos is frequently....

I find that some of the best images I take come from having the subject be comfortable with me, my camera lens and the surroundings. So your husband would be naturally (we would hope) relaxed for images you take of him - producing a better image. My favorite photo of my husband was taken in a bar, having a glass of wine, while people watching during a camera class in San Francisco. I was street shooting and we were taking a break before returning to the studio that served as a classroom.

Rachel, the first picture of your son is good, but could use some attention.

Keeping the light off the background will avoid the appearance of wrinkled fabric in the b/g. This is most easily done by moving the subject away from the b/g, but I know your space is limited, so I'd suggest using barn doors or something similar to control the light.

The hotspot below his ear is distracting, and contributes to a dark line across his right cheek. Look at Chuck Gardner's portrait lighting tutorials at http://super.nova.org/DPR/ for some good advice about basic portraiture.

<Chas>

Rachel Foster

I also like this one but I think, in light of what I've learned, the eyes are not enough of a focal point (no pun intended!)?

13crop.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Rachel

thanks for playing the game!-) wow those beasts didn't miss you! thanks for sharing, I'm going to look for my "off" bottle…

I like much better the last photo, though the knee is still disturbing.
Colors are deep and bring a magnificient warm atmosphere…

I am with Kathy about the crop of the other pic.

If you frame correctly when you fire, you shouln't have to crop later and eventually miss some good pixels for your print…

Rachel Foster

Framing correctly would be the goal...yup. I'm "shooting" for that (pun intended!)

Does anyone like the knee in the last one? I kind of like the personality it conveys, but if it only distracts then it doesn't belong in the photo.

You mentioned warmth in the colors. After I set up the lighting, I put a dim red "party" lightbulb in a nearby lamp. Maybe it took away some of the sallowness of the regular light bulbs?

Rachel Foster

It is rather attention getting. i could try to fade it, but thought I'd try a recrop.

13ropagain.jpg

All told, I think I like this one best of the series.

jacobmonday017.jpg

Rachel Foster

By the way, I went to the same park again today. The mosquitos went for the right cheekbone again and this time the size of the welt makes me think they invited all their friends and had a banquet. Sigh.