• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

15 min session

Arya Wiese

This was a quick 15 min session with a Senior - my first for the year - This was one of my favorites from the session. HHCC is always welcomed on anything you think needs to be mentioned as I want to hone my skills and become a better photographer.

I used my sb600 speedlight as a hair light in a sorts and there was a large window off to the side of him.

SETTINGS:
Flash used: Yes (auto, return light detected)
Focal length: 50.0mm (35mm equivalent: 75mm)
Exposure time: 0.011 s (1/90)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Auto

DSC_0007BW.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Arya,

I like the picture too. I get the feeling this guy feels good about himself. He has a good head of hair which you have lit well. There's a good range of tonalities and you have especially done jusdtice to his hair and tyhe leather/ette jacket whixh makes this picture so handsome. I dont know enough about the face since it's to small. The teeth seem rather too white but this is just a rough look. Maybe you might post a larger version covering his face.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Arya Wiese

I think you might be right about the teeth, Asher, I might have dodged them a bit too much - a bad habbit of mine lately to dodge the eyes and teeth too much...

here is a larger size of just his face.
DSC_0007BW-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now that I see this I ask whether you really want such a sharp edge on the lips, especially the lower one? I'm sure there is jpg artifact in the skin. could you look at the RAW and see if you can process a copy just for the skin so you can retain texture and blend that with a feathered selection to the existing photograph with such good dark tones.

Now you don't have to do this for this picture to be succesful as it is alread y that!

However, I feel that this picture can be moved further to show more of this young man at the junction of youth and adulthood.

Remember to work in layers. when you sharpen, always feather the selection O(of course you do that) and reduce the contribution of any layer or change from what you feel is perfect. That brings back subtle anchors to reality.

Don't take all this blurb from me as being so important, just my quick reaction to a photograph I like and feel can go further.

If this does not fit in with your own ideas, then I'm wrong!

Asher

Arya Wiese

Thank you Asher for your great feedback! I am going to have to remember to keep my sharpening on it's own layer. I will try what you suggested and see how it works. I really do appriciate you taking the time to give me some great suggestions & Feedback!

Arya Wiese

Below are 3 versions of the same image. Feel free to play if you want. Sorry it took so long to get back, had a funneral then several sessions - ya know how it goes life happened...lol

Here is my SOOC image
SOOC-1.jpg

This is just a strait b&w that I did
bwconversion.jpg

Final image - shown to client
DSC_0007BW.jpg