• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: I feel a need for colour this morning.....

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_5744B.jpg

IMG_5706cleanB.jpg

IMG_5618A.jpg

IMG_5697clean.jpg

Hope these brighten up your day too....

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
ho! Janet!
beautifull… thank you for the colours!

I think the last one is not in the ballpark of the serie made by the first 3… too different.

janet Smith

pro member
I think the last one is not in the ballpark of the serie made by the first 3… too different.

Good morning Nic!

Thank you - I agree about No 4 - my reason for posting this one is that it's Paul's favourite, not sure why, good to know you share my opinion....

My favourite is No 3, but I love Autumn colours, I'll be shooting more today (I hope), have a lovely day Nic.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well I also like #4 and the way that leaves are pushed toward the viewer (could even may be enhanced with a different focal).
But it just ndon't go in the same serie as the others… perhaps you have more of the same kind and have a second serie…

Have a lovely day too! Hug to Paul

Hi Jan,

They do!

I especially like #3, very nice. Number 4 could use some postprocessing. I would e.g. try to darken the entire image, except for 5 leaves in the center foreground, to create more depth. Then play with saturation a bit for punch.

Thanks for sharing,
Bart

janet Smith

pro member
Number 4 could use some postprocessing. I would e.g. try to darken the entire image, except for 5 leaves in the center foreground, to create more depth. Then play with saturation a bit for punch

Hi Bart

Glad they brightened your day a bit!

I already did some gentle work on No 4, I was anxious not to overdo it, but I agree I think they could do with a bit more, I may re-work it, or might just wait for better light and re-shoot.

janet Smith

pro member
But it just ndon't go in the same serie as the others… perhaps you have more of the same kind and have a second serie…

Have a lovely day too! Hug to Paul

Yes I have more, I'm still working on them, I shot some of these yesterday, I'll take another look at them, I think No 4 needs a bit more 'oomph' I might reshoot this morning, if the sun puts in an appearance.....

Paul sends a hug back :)

Poor Janet!

In need of colors indeed! In the spirit of this Anti-drab-a-Thon I have a small offering and thanks for the eye candy. #4 is my fav

688610916_W4uiX-L.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
Hi William

I like your leaves & thank you for joining in my anti-drab-a-thon!!! I'm definitely going to adopt your word and go in search of more anti-drabness!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
janet said:

IMG_5697clean.jpg

These do start my day very well, thank you Janet!

Layering: This last one should be singled out because the narrow depth of focus works well in blurring out the successive layers of leaves behind receding into the background. This effect in return pushes the main subject leaves forward to us so that floats lightly in the air.

The granting of different levels of relevance to components of the picture is the antithesis to professors of the evenly drawn, non-vignetting uniformly sharp image that modern lenses give us so often. Most artistic work would benefit from this approach to photography as one of the possible tools to draw from. Read Jim Galli's work with old fashioned lenses. Some are rare and people are jealous of. Others old lantern glass and still others an old nameless lens in a "$hi#-pipe", the $hi#-pipe lens, literally.

These lenses give not only the layering we see in Janet's picture, but also add character with vignetting, bokeh, swirls, brightening of the central image in focus with light from the periphery slightly out of focus, so adding a painterly stroke of light from an angel's airbrush.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
These do start my day very well, thank you Janet!

Layering: This last one should be singled out because the narrow depth of focus works well in blurring out the successive layers of leaves behind receding into the background. This effect in return pushes the main subject leaves forward to us so that floats lightly in the air

Hi Asher

Glad I helped your day off to a good start and thank you for helping me to look at this one again, I shot it yesterday, sometimes I find I need to live with things for a while before they 'grow on me' now that this shot is separated from the other three it looks much better, perhaps as Nic referred to it just didn't sit well with the others. I reprocessed it to give it a bit more oomph but have decided that I prefer the orignal gentler version!

So in the pursuit of William's Anit-drab-a-Thon here's another one of the same tree

IMG_5702B.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Janet

oh how lovely
I like the balance in this shot
it has such a gracefulness to it
like a ballet from arm to floor
branch to ground

Charlotte-

So in the pursuit of William's Anit-drab-a-Thon here's another one of the same tree.

Hi Jan,

I see an interesting 'triangle' in the image (base at the top, point down). Maybe it's just me, but I subconsciously always look for geometrical shapes that define the composition. I'd try and emphasize it a bit more than it does by itself.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. A general tip for all autumn shooters;
A polarizing filter will enhance those wonderful saturated colors by reducing the direct reflection of the sky from the leaves. Just don't remove all reflections, it could kill the 3D shapes.

Hi Bart

Could you explain what you mean by "emphasise it a bit more" for me - what technique did you have in mind....

Hi Jan,

Here is a quick/crude attempt:
Triangle.jpg

I made a rough selection of the triangular area, and darkened the exterior with a Curves adjustment, and boosted the saturation of the interior a bit.

A much more subtle approach is justified, but I don't want to spend too much time on a small web version. More subtle could be a selection of the individual leaves that 'define' the triangle, boost saturation a bit, and darken the rest a bit.

Feel free to ignore my suggestions, it's your image!

Cheers,
Bart

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Bart

Thank you for your time and for your version, I like it.

I did make several versions of this shot, the original version I posted here has had some processing along the lines you've used already, I will take another look at it before coming up with a final version.

Thanks once again for your efforts and ideas, very much appreciated....

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Janet,

Thanks for posting these. I love trees and woods at this time of the year, it's such a beautiful time for getting out and about into the countryside, and these images really bring my feelings to life.

Thanks,

Geometrical shapes don't define composition. They're aspects of spatial arrangement, which is one part of the many elements which, in sum, define wholistic composition.

Hi Mike,

Given a 'wholistic composition', what percentage would you say, on average, is formed by the geometrical aspects?

I'm wondering, because the human visual system (HVS, which includes the brain) functions by reducing the potential information overflow to simple shapes/brightness distributions that trigger a primary response. You seem to suggest that the geometrical factors are relatively unimportant, unless I'm misinterpreting your reaction.

For me, and others I have talked to, geometry (and color usually as reinforcement) pretty much determines the majority of what's commonly seen as composition.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

I think it would be a good idea to relocate the posts about the composition to another thread and use this solely one for c&c on Jan's fine pictures.

Cheers,