• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Colorful Sunrise Today

Adrian Wareham

I hope today is as nice as this morning.

IMG_4579MR.jpg

-Adrian

I thought that the old adage was "Red Sky in Morn - Sailors Take Warn"?

Almost looks like a sunset doesn't it. Always pretty.

I do believe the adage is true, seems most of the time anyways.

As for the sunrise looking like a sunset, I don't believe you can actually tell from an image. Some people say, that the air is cooler in the morning hence bluer light, and more particles in the air at night, hence more orange skies but I've seen red hot skies in the morning and cool blues at night and vice versa. If anyone can prove different, I'd love to know.
Maggie

I do believe the adage is true, seems most of the time anyways.

As for the sunrise looking like a sunset, I don't believe you can actually tell from an image. Some people say, that the air is cooler in the morning hence bluer light, and more particles in the air at night, hence more orange skies but I've seen red hot skies in the morning and cool blues at night and vice versa. If anyone can prove different, I'd love to know.
Maggie

Hi Maggie,

You are correct, it's not likely to be able and see from an image whether it is a sunrise or a sunset. The reddish coloring is statistically more likely to occur at sunset, because there are usually more particles in the atmosphere (caused by daytime activities) that scatter the shorter wavelengths away from the line of sight.

The type/size of airborne particles makes a difference, and atmospheric/wind conditions also have an effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise#Sunrise_vs._Sunset_colors

Cheers,
Bart

I hope today is as nice as this morning.

Hi Adrian,

That's a nice one. The only thing I don't like is the Magenta coloring, which is very unlikely to occur in real life. Magenta is the mix of blue and red, and since blue is scattered away it is an unlikely color to occur in sunrise/sunset situations. A shift of the tint control should be able to tweak that, if you feel the need to do that.

Cheers,
Bart

Adrian Wareham

Hi Adrian,

That's a nice one. The only thing I don't like is the Magenta coloring, which is very unlikely to occur in real life. Magenta is the mix of blue and red, and since blue is scattered away it is an unlikely color to occur in sunrise/sunset situations. A shift of the tint control should be able to tweak that, if you feel the need to do that.

Cheers,
Bart

I appreciate the info! I'll keep that in mind, but this picture wasn't meant to be exactly like the sunrise. When it comes to contrast, color balance, highlight, shadow, and so forth, I adjust until I like it.

I really DO appreciate the info. I'm sure it will be helpful in the future!

Cheers,
-Adrian

Adrian Wareham

Hi Adrian,

That's a nice one. The only thing I don't like is the Magenta coloring, which is very unlikely to occur in real life. Magenta is the mix of blue and red, and since blue is scattered away it is an unlikely color to occur in sunrise/sunset situations.

Cheers,
Bart

It's odd, the sky turns red(or orange) at Sunrise/Sunset, but can be very blue just prior. The clouds seem to have allowed some shadowed areas to appear blue, while some lit areas turned red, and other areas (from my position) appeared to be a mix. I've seen this more than once around here at dawn/dusk. I didn't change the hue, but I did bring out the colors in this sunrise with more saturation and adjusted contrast. *shrugs* =) Still looks cool, I think!