• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just a few photos

am fairly new to this whole photography thing althought I have a background in graphic design.

so here are a few pictures I have taken with a canon rebel xsi with a 18-55 lens. These photos where very minorly adjusted and have not been through photo shop or anything and I would like to have some critique on what my strenghs and weaknesses are. So that I can continue to work with the strenghs and focus on inproving my weaknesses. Thank you in advance.

Bull

The picture links got broken, so here's the repost of the pictures (some with modification)

bwmollykiamisty.jpg

SHOWDOWN

misty11.jpg

a picture to display the dogs atheletism

bwalyssa.jpg

Just a snapshot

misty12.jpg

and i added this one to coinside with the second one

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am fairly new to this whole photography thing althought I have a background in graphic design.

so here are a few pictures I have taken with a canon rebel xsi with a 18-55 lens. These photos where very minorly adjusted and have not been through photo shop or anything and I would like to have some critique on what my strenghs and weaknesses are. So that I can continue to work with the strenghs and focus on inproving my weaknesses. Thank you in advance.

bwmollykiamisty.jpg

Hi Bull,

It's a tall order to give feedback globally on 4 utterly different pictures. Generally in one post, the pictures should constitute a related series or else just show one picture. So briefly here goes.

#1:

Presumably, this first shot has been cropped . Likely this is a snapshot, as opposed to something planned. The subject is what? Two dogs on the left are chaotically set and then with some large separation there's the lone dog on the right and it's strong shadow and in between a portion of a structure. Is there a planned subject? Is there any interesting form there?

As a graphic artist, you have an advantage. The camera cannot design for you. Planning the shot is the most important way of starting photography. Later on you can be impulsive. The personalities of the dog and how fond you are of them is only known to you and these pictures have little value except personal. We want to use photographic elements to make pictures go beyond that.

#2:

The second picture has untidy structures at the top but a strong character of a dog. Yes, that's a great subject, but plan the shot so it fits a concept or wait until it happens. That means you plan what will be in the background. With white snow, you have no relief in the shading of the footsteps or shrubs or sky, all elements that are available for free. So this picture is either too close or not close enough!

#3:

The girl is shown with not title and again an untidy background. I don't get the picture. Are you celebrating her body with large boobs or exposing her taste in clothes or what? She is not made up and the lighting is what is and with no attempt to prevent harsh shadows, Is this meant to be untidy? Again, is this something planned or a snap.

#4:

The last picture does have some landscape potential. Sketch this out in your mind as to how you can make this most interesting. The snow is overexposed and there's little detail in the trees.

Obviously I have been tough on you.

My suggestion is to narrow your subject matter. No dogs or people. Just use your stated strengths and draw first what you want to photograph. Then concentrate on one subject, using just one lens at one focal length. I'd suggest starting with fruit by a window or the landscape and get that right. Moving animals are very hard to work with in the beginning. Try to boil things down to simple set ups.

Also, for whatever you want to start doing, do a search for other peoples photography of that subject. Look to see ways composition is approached. You can emulate what you like. Eventually you'll work out your own view of things.

So decide what you like most that is stationary. If it's small, put it by the window in the early morning or later as the sun goes down. If it's large, scout it out with a square cutout of cardboard as your camera. It's not necessary to take the picture. First scout, then come back for the picture.

This is a one time long post! Next time my response will be much shorter. Good luck!

Asher

Last edited:
The first picture I was after the confrontation of the two dogs. The third just managed to get in the picture. which I thought added to the confrontation of the other two ( as if like in a western when two cowboys draw everyone else runs to hide) This was an attempt at showing the showdown of wits and fearlessness.

The second was to capture the dogs athletic ability. ( As she is a show dog and the requirments for her breed are that they be sporting high strung and energetic).

The third was just an impulse picture of the fieance in the house.

The forth was well just a picture of the landscape of which I live

Bull

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The first picture I was after the confrontation of the two dogs. The third just managed to get in the picture. which I thought added to the confrontation of the other two ( as if like in a western when two cowboys draw everyone else runs to hide) This was an attempt at showing the showdown of wits and fearlessness.
Bull,

I somewhat suspected that, but the chain on the right was relaxed. So I put the idea of confrontation aside. Now we know that fact, there's a lot more to do.

bwmollykiamisty.jpg

© Aaron (Bull) Hayward "Confrontation"

It cannot be emphasized enough how important it can be to provide generous wall space. Se how isolating your photograph allows the picture to breath a little and come alive. It can be further strengthened by boldly removing the obvious distractions. Does this resonate with you? Is so, this is worth trying.

The jpg provided is to small to really work well with. Do you have a RAW file for editing? Maybe this would be a great exercise. I always ask of each item in the picture, "What are you doing there?"

Are you able to remove things in PS or is your graphic work limited to design and construction of text elements? Here, if each item is not working for the picture, why leave it there?

After all, we want the essence of the event, (we see over many seconds), to be seen in the camera's capture of just a mere fraction of a second. Selective showing is then what is worth doing in the final preparation. That's what photography should be, "selective showing"!

Asher

P.S. Thanks for accepting my harsh review without offense!

Last edited:
no i do not have a raw file I hjave just been shooting in jpeg but am considering switch to raw what are the advantages and disadvantages of this?

as for the photo shop abilitys i should be ableto remove unwanted items althought im not sure how to do it and get the background back in

the oobvious things to remove would be the chain and pole i think leaveing the house and bone set a sort of teritory i would also remove the truck tire

and as for the croping do you mean to bring it in closer or take it out to give moire boarder?

and on the area of your harsh critique well thats more or less what im after how am i to improve without somone telling me direct what my problems are?

Rachel Foster

Bull, Asher believes in tough love. It's benefited me greatly.

Of the four, I think the second has greatest potential. What a great dog! Regarding the portrait of the young woman, my style (which nothing more or less than that: my style) would be to cut out everything but her amazing face.

By the way, how do you like your XSi?

i am quite impressed with the xsi's abilitys and ease of use now its just my skills i need to inprove upon to truly take advantage of the cameras ability and i actually like ashers way of doing things much like my own self

Rachel Foster

Bull, I'm quite the neophyte myself. If you were to ask my advice (which you haven't, I know!) I'd say pay attention to light and background.

Happy shooting!

Charlotte Thompson

Hey Bull

LOL ask any one how Asher and I have butted heads in less than a year of his "love"
and
I must say I have greatly changed in his knowing"
take care and keep learning" its a wonder I'm not bald yet in the process-ahahaa nonetheless I am still learning
and
all the others here will be a great help as well-
I am NOT a tech person at all but more of an artist type so in that is what you will find in my reply and work!

Charlotte-