• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shots in the Dark!

Brandon Cade

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

I'm just learning so have fun, any tricks or advice you can provide to make shooting at night look better, go for it. :)

It all depends on what you want to achieve in the photo.
just remember that the higher the ISO the more noise you will have.
And a must is a sturdy tripod and head, Cable release or self timer.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Brandon,

I have to take shots in the dark too in commenting! You have posted 3 images which share little in common beyond being taken at night outside using light from electric light bulbs of various colors.

IMG_0579.jpg

Brandon Cade Shots in the Dark

In this first image, the water is a ghastly blue and offset slightly from the center. It's not immediately appealing to me in the way it's presented.

IMG_0541.jpg

This picture is different since there is detail of interest and a pattern of the rows of lights. It's clumsy industrial design, using existing forms to make an object to perform a function speaks for itself. The two simple box power switches reinforce this utilitarian workhorse design, so any art is derived from it's function to attract attention to hold the colored lights. To the eye, no doubt, the metal work is not obvious. What part this apparatus plays in our life we're not sure of, but this is at least interesting!

IMG_0544.jpg

This last picture appears to be a shot up the dress of a ferris wheel. The angle creates a mass of diverging lines studded with lights. One partial arc of steel on the left connects us to the notion of the large wheel and it all then makes sense.

Shooting in the dark is a great exercise. You subjects get better. It would be helpful if you yourself would try to ask why a picture is interesting and then share that. As it is, I have drawn out my own reactions but it would have been easier to have some of your thoughts.

Frankly, the first one I'd have not shown in that form. Still, it may look fine printed large in a particular milieux, but for now, I'd pass on it. The next two are then stronger.

Asher