• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What Fisheye lens for Canon Rebel XT??

im new to the forum and have been shooting photos for a long time now and just recently purchased my first Digital camera, the Canon Rebel XT. I shoot a lot of skateboard photography and have been wondering what lens to get that will give the best possible fisheye look without getting to crazy distorted.

i have read in other forums that with the Canon 15mm and Sigma 15mm fisheye, with a Rebel XT, it wont give the fisheye look, becuase of something to do with the croping. I am not to clear on the croping thing, but i have read that the Rebel XT is about 1.6x, can anybody clarify this for me also?? I have also looked at the Sigma 8mm fisheye.

Is it even possible to get a non circular fisheye lens for the Rebel XT, that will look good??

Anyways i would really appreciate some input on recommendations for fisheyes lenses that will work the best for the Rebel XT.

Thanks
Aaron

Aaron Schwendiman said:
im new to the forum and have been shooting photos for a long time now and just recently purchased my first Digital camera, the Canon Rebel XT. I shoot a lot of skateboard photography and have been wondering what lens to get that will give the best possible fisheye look without getting to crazy distorted.
That is incorrect. You will get the crazy fisheye look regardless as what makes it a fish eye is the lack of rectilinear correction. Straight lines not going through the axial center of the lens will bend.
Aaron Schwendiman said:
i have read in other forums that with the Canon 15mm and Sigma 15mm fisheye, with a Rebel XT, it wont give the fisheye look,

It will give the fisheye look but by croping away the outer edges you will see less of it.

Aaron Schwendiman said:
becuase of something to do with the croping. I am not to clear on the croping thing, but i have read that the Rebel XT is about 1.6x, can anybody clarify this for me also?? I have also looked at the Sigma 8mm fisheye.

Here is an 8 mm example shot. Note how the full circular fisheye is cropped. And while the distortion of a 15 mm fisheye will be less extreme, your skating obstacles/ramps/jumps will look funny much of the time.
Zeb02912_RSE-01.jpg

A 8 mm circular fisheye shot off an XT.

Aaron Schwendiman said:
Is it even possible to get a non circular fisheye lens for the Rebel XT, that will look good??

Anyways i would really appreciate some input on recommendations for fisheyes lenses that will work the best for the Rebel XT.

Canon's EF-S 1-22/3.5/4.5 USM is well regarded. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina also have ultrawide zooms for crop factor cameras. You can find a list here (plus some extras).

Considering the prices of the corrected ultra wide zooms are close to those of the fisheyes they may meet your needs better.

Be aware that the lenses in the first link are not compatable with full frame cameras. The Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6 is. Note the EF-S Canon will yield a brighter viewfinder.

I should also note the closure notes on the site are due to observance of religious holidays.

enjoy,

Sean

sorry i didnt mean crazy distorted. i ment distorted like in the circular fisheye, where you can see the black sides on the lens when you take a pic.

Does anybody have any pics with a Rebel XT using the Sigma 15mm of the Canon 15mm fisheye lenes???

Aaron

Don Lashier

Aaron Schwendiman said:
sorry i didnt mean crazy distorted. i ment distorted like in the circular fisheye, where you can see the black sides on the lens when you take a pic.

Does anybody have any pics with a Rebel XT using the Sigma 15mm of the Canon 15mm fisheye lenes???
Sounds like the Sigma diagonal fisheye is what you're looking for. I don't have one but here's some samples on a D100 - not too different a crop factor. There's samples of the Canon retangular at luminous-landscape. Google and you'll find plenty more samples and reviews.

- DL

Diane Fields

Aaron Schwendiman said:

Aaron

Here is one with the Sigma 15 f/2.8 on the 10D which has the same crop factor as the Rebel, so it would be the same.
31242705.jpg
--this was taken, obviously, at a strange angle so the distortion is more apparent.

this is one that is an uncorrected (un-defished), also with the 10D
30520515.jpg

and this one was 'defished' to correct the distortion which would have been most notable on the columns.
28579635.jpg

Nill uses a fisheye quite a bit and may offer some samples.

Diane

thanks for all the info.

I have been looking around for lenses and came across this Pentax Zoom Fisheye lens. Its a 10mm-17mm Fisheye to Super Wide angle with 180 degrees of view at 10mm. Does anybody have any information or reviews on this??? and would this even fit a Rebel XT???

Aaron Schwendiman said:
I have been looking around for lenses and came across this Pentax Zoom Fisheye lens. Its a 10mm-17mm Fisheye to Super Wide angle with 180 degrees of view at 10mm. Does anybody have any information or reviews on this??? and would this even fit a Rebel XT???

No it will no fit the XT. Nor is it designed to. I gave you the links you need for most of your wide angle options. Add in this link and look at the Sigma 15-30 and Sigma 12-24 and excepting the more expensive Canon, Sigma, and Tamron 14 mm rectilinear lenses you have a nearly complete list of lenses.

There are many manual focus lenses and adapters with which you could use other brands of manual and autofocus lenses* which will require the use of manual focus and stop down metering. If you do not know what stop down metering is, then I suspect you do not want to go such aftermarket solutions.

enjoy,

Sean

* Usable solely in manual mode without auto aperture or autofocus.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Aaron,

If you are located near me, I can lend you a Canon fisheye to try.Else see if you have a local OPF member or rent of a day for $15 or so.

As you can see from Diane's images, it is perfect for circles. I use it also for people around a round table and everyone looks fine. For packed dance floors, this is perfect too.

Some shots, you can defish to get an 11mm superwide view.

One can obsess about these things. You must shoot with it and not look at any more at specifications!

The differences are most probably not important as the brain behind the lens decides on the picture once you are at this point of choice.

You will love the Sigma lens. If you have the $ get the Canon fisheye.

Good luck,

Asher

Diane Fields

The other thing that you need to consider is if you want to shoot wide--or you are interested in a modified fisheye (with the 1.6x bodies). I also have the Sigma 15-30--excellent IQ, a bit cludgy using, but also a quite reasonably priced zoom. I had the Canon 10-22 for my 20D--just a very good WA zoom--and there are Sigma and Tamron equivalents for a bit less. So--the decision is--do you need a wide angle or do you want the fisheye (which can be defished reasonably in many cases--and also works well for many other things as Asher notes).

Diane

i definetly want the fisheye look, so i need to decide between the Sigma 15mm or the Canon 15mm. The Sigma fits into my budget a little better, but i have heard get the same lens as the camera you own. What im going to do now is see if i can try either one of them out before i buy.

thanks for all the info!!

Budget alternative 8mm

You can find a 150-200$ Belarus alternative for a fisheye that will fit the Rebel XT:
Peleng 8mm/3,5
You can find a review over on Photozone: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/peleng_8_35/index.htm

I borrowed it from a friend that went from 20D to 5D, on a 5D the Peleng will or can hit the mirror so he can't use it anymore.
I haven't had time to play that much yet but my observations so far is:
- It's fully manual, no AF and no communication with the Camera
- It's extremely sensitive to flare. a bright sky or strong lightsources will give you big problems
- You get a cut corner view on a XT because of the 1,6 crop
- I would not buy it without trying, the sample I borrowed can't be as good as the sample tested by Photozone IMO.

BR/ Stefan Hellstrom

Johnny Blood

I really would not recommend either the Sigma or Canon 15mm fisheye lenses for your Canon XTi. If you have a camera with a 1.6 crop factor you really need to use an 8mm circular fisheye such as the Peleng 8mm f/4.0 or the Sigma 8mm f/4.0 EX DG. Any other focal length will not look 'fishy' enouch on a camera with a smaller crop factor.

I have the Sigma 8mm f/4.0 for my Canon EOS 20D and like it very much. I also have the Canon 15mm fisheye lens for my Canon EOS 5D and I would never use it on my 20D for the aforementioned reasons. By the way, the Sigma has autofocus and the Peleng does not.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Who uses the Sigma 8 mm or the Peleng 8mm circular fisheye on the APS-C sized sensor DSLR such as the 7D or XSi? I'm wondering how it images people in social functions and does it replace the need for a 15mm (more rectilinear fisheye) from Canon used with a full frame camera for these purposes?

Asher