• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ERA-15 f4.5 125mm takes a late walk

Dr Klaus Schmitt

...to the park. Shot fully open on Panasonic GH4. Russian micro chip making lens.

37307027802_d612e259e2_o.jpg

37307029352_a0ea0359e1_o.jpg

37080494040_bf82467b1d_o.jpg

37289638826_ba860f9804_o.jpg

23485403768_0e717a59db_o.jpg

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157660891348788

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Klaus,

The old soviet Era lenses are remarkable!

This first picture is so definitive, pushing its way up as if it had just been born - formed before one's eyes from micron sized grains of color and pulled out of the bed of some, (as yet to be invented), full color SLA printer.

It is surreal that it is so real!

37289638826_ba860f9804_o.jpg

23485403768_0e717a59db_o.jpg

This again is definitive. It appears to be more than real to, the opposite of abstract, as if some theoretical multiplier of "genuine" and natural had been crafted in each form by increasing its genuiness to 150%.

I do not see some optical or post processing trick, but rather an elevation of reality and genuine as if all stmospheric aberrations and nuanced interference with light coming to your camera have been mriaculously filtered away.

I wonder what acounts for this perfect hyper-realism. It does not appear to be simple S-curves or sharpening. Rather, I feel that this lens does not cut of light at edges and create aberations and edge effects.

Still I'd love an explanation as the presence of these images is extraordinary.

Besides, "Love Potion #9", what additional magic did you use after downloading the files?

What I recognize is exclusion of distractions, limited plane of focus, very sharp rendering, rich color, gentle transitions. but is there more?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thank you Asher! Well, the only parameter I could think of other than what you have already so meticulously described is.......me! May sound a bit strange, or even arrogant, but if I look over many of the best images I have taken using some of my ever so exotic lenses, it does not really seem to be the lens, nor the camera, it seems to really be the photographer: The situation, the subject, the light, the right angle, the relative position of camera, subject, forground and background, all that is chosen at will. Well, according to what Ansel Adams said, "photography happens 30cm behind the camera" and I guess he was right ;-)

Asher Kelman

Well, Klaus,

Thanks for sharing your pictures here.

I remember a special physician, Dr C.C. Wang, at Massachessets General Hospital, who comforted his patients with the assurance that, for their condition, (cancer of the Head & Neck), he was "the best in the world!" He not only acted as "God", but believed it too!

....and it was true!

(So from then on, I strived to be as capable and skilled! I admit I acted as "God" at times, but never actually thought I was that special. Rather strived to be the most alert listner, diagnostician and questioner of all my own actions.)

So I have no issue with lack of modesty when someone intently listens to the patient, examines them with skill, as if this was the final pass/fail exam his/her Medical School, seriously considers the alternative diagnoses and actually delivers on this super high platform of excellence.

So here, in these disarmingly simple shots, what you have delivered earns you the right to strut a little! Just like I do at times!

Kudos!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Well, Klaus,

Thanks for sharing your pictures here.

I remember a special physician, Dr C.C. Wang, at Massachessets General Hospital, who comforted his patients with the assurance that, for their condition, (cancer of the Head & Neck), he was "the best in the world!" He not only acted as "God", but believed it too!

....and it was true!

(So from then on, I strived to be as capable and skilled! I admit I acted as "God" at times, but never actually thought I was that special. Rather strived to be the most alert listner, diagnostician and questioner of all my own actions.)

So I have no issue with lack of modesty when someone intently listens to the patient, examines them with skill, as if this was the final pass/fail exam his/her Medical School, seriously considers the alternative diagnoses and actually delivers on this super high platform of excellence.

So here, in these disarmingly simple shots, what you have delivered earns you the right to strut a little! Just like I do at times!

Kudos!

Asher

Oh NO, it wasn't meant like THAT at all! I was just lacking any other explanation to your question Asher, except that one open variable: the photographer, hence my comments.

Asher Kelman

Oh NO, it wasn't meant like THAT at all! I was just lacking any other explanation to your question Asher, except that one open variable: the photographer, hence my comments.

Well, I didn't go so far to imply you also can actually walk on water, just you deliver at the highest level and that deserves my esteem. So you have to accept the award, LOL!

Asher