Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Panorama Photography: Vistas, Interiors & Objects

Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:23 AM

Default The Edge of Things

Someone once noted, who and when escapes me now, that edges of all kinds should be kept in mind with photography. These edges might involve the time of day, the season of year, forest and field, weather systems, and etc. The point, as I recall, was that such edges frequently lend a little extra drama to any given scene.

Weber Farm

Now, there's no drama at all in the above photo taken near the northwest corner of Illinois six years ago. The place is located just over two hours drive from home. I've returned many times since and have never had things come together quite so well. It was early summer and the end of spring. The morning sun had just cleared the horizon and all-day clouds were racing in from the west.

The notion of edges is a simple one and I was surprised to see how they tended to be present in the rare keeper images while recently exploring some old folders.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:02 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Someone once noted, who and when escapes me now, that edges of all kinds should be kept in mind with photography. These edges might involve the time of day, the season of year, forest and field, weather systems, and etc. The point, as I recall, was that such edges frequently lend a little extra drama to any given scene.

Weber Farm

Tom,

Fascinating Concept!

This is a beautiful, broad and rich scene, (that despite the road to somewhere), actually appears to start at the horizon and comes towards us so generously as if a giant carpet with gifts displayed had been payed out for us.

So yes, this is at "the edge of things"!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.