• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Revisiting Never Posted Images

Robert Watcher

While I love my cameras ability to wirelessly transfer files onto my iPad or phone, so that I can use Snapseed to effortlessly and quickly process the images and get them to my social network feeds and photo forums —— that method and the ability to store so many files on large memory cards, does make me lazy when it comes to getting all of those files Imported and Organized in Lightroom and BackedUp on my hard drives.

Since coming home to Canada again for a visit, I was faced with the daunting task of moving 14,000 image files plus many videos taken over the last months - over to my hard drives through Lightroom and then viewing each file in my ‘Imported Files’ folder, and deciding which Category to drag them into.
Normally I do that each night and Format my cards for the next day.

That task took a few long days. Much of the time waiting as files were moved here and there. Meantime, I ended up looking at older images in the Category folders - going back to 2008 when I started these adventures of photographing Central American cultures - noticing different interesting shots that I have never processed and posted before.

Being that I am taking a little break from actually being out and about shooting, I selected a few for putting online. Even though it is totally irrelevant to fact that these are modern day digital images, I decided to process them differently (from my normal saturated, contrasty style) with a washed out colour film look reminiscent of prints my mother has from the 60’s.

DREAMERS

C1C2583B-96DC-44A0-9DA0-EABE6475E08A.jpg

66AEDFEB-660E-424B-8EA6-3843953883D8.jpg

41CCC605-211C-4F7F-BD2B-5256B7D6456A.jpg

Robert Watcher

It was interesting when I checked stats for cameras that I have used to shoot these Central American pics over the past 9-1/2 years —— starting off with Nikon D200 and D40 bodies and lenses, mixed and later exclusively with Olympus E-3, E-510 4/3 bodies and lenses as well as E-PL1, E-PL3, E-PL5, E-M1, E-M10 micro 4/3 bodies and lenses, adding more recently iPhone6 to the arsenal.

Realistically though, all of the 10’s of thousands of images in my Catalogue, look pretty well the same. I seem to handle all of my cameras in a similar way, and see in the same way through them.

It was fun to gather data on the gear and settings used for the pics above:

Boys rowing Boat - Olympus E-510 w/ 12-60mm f2.8/4, f8@1/500, ISO 200

Boys on Wall - Olympus E-510 w/ 12-60mm f2.8/4, f5.6@1/250, ISO 200

Boys on Horses - Olympus E-510 w/ 12-60mm f2.8/4, f7.1@1/250, ISO 200

Boy Walking - Olympus E-M10 w/ 45mm f1.8, f1.8@1/1250, ISO 200

Policeman - Olympus E-PL5 w/ 14-42mm f3.5/5.6, f5.1@1/800, ISO 640

Girl on Bench - Olympus E-PL5 w/ 14-42mm f3.5/5.6, f3.5@1/30, ISO 640

Men on Bench - Nikon D40 w/ 18-200mm f3.5/5.6, f5.6@1/250, ISO 200

News Lady - Olympus E-510 w/ 12-60mm f2.8/4, f5.0@1/160, ISO 100

Man and Dog - Nikon D40 w/ 18-200mm f3.5/5.6, f8.0@1/250, ISO 200

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
While I love my cameras ability to wirelessly transfer files onto my iPad or phone, so that I can use Snapseed to effortlessly and quickly process the images and get them to my social network feeds and photo forums —— that method and the ability to store so many files on large memory cards, does make me lazy when it comes to getting all of those files Imported and Organized in Lightroom and BackedUp on my hard drives.

Robert,

I heard of Snapseed but now I see it is another way of not addressing our surpless of images to formally sort out. It's a sort of Faustian Bargain. Great immediacy, but a long term debt is built up!

DREAMERS

C1C2583B-96DC-44A0-9DA0-EABE6475E08A.jpg

As expected, your pictures tell us about the actual lives and humanity of people, not what people pretend.

I thought to myself, "But why on earth didn't Robert correct these over exposed pale images!

Now it's clear you used a nice vintage filter! What is it? I am interested in looking at before and after images, so I can figure out what the filter uniquely adds and how quickly we might get that result in Photoshop or Lightroom by itself.

I do like this "vintage look" as it adds a sense of reality in the folks lives where we ask, what happened after this in all the subsequent years. We dont ask that about your well exposed high contrast saturated images we expect from you. Perhaps we ask, what will be their future and wish them well.

Asher