Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Architectural - Industrial

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default Industrial desolation

Industrial landscapes interest me a lot, especially when they seem to be as desolate as in these.
























__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Jarmo Juntunen Jarmo Juntunen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,236
Default

Hi Cem, first of all nice to see you're back! I trust you're well.
Yes, scenes like these are fascinating. There is something terrifying in a modern industrial environment. They seem so... completely free of any human touch. Or any need of human touch, for that matter. Your processing brought this thought to my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Tom Robbins Tom Robbins is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 846
Default

I like them all Cem, but the second one really carries a wallop. Well done!
__________________
Tom Robbins
West of Lake Michigan, East of Mississippi River
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,719
Default

Cem, these pictures are exceptional. Is that what took you so long to come back?

Are these scanned? There are some marks in the sky of #4.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Cem, these pictures are exceptional. Is that what took you so long to come back?

Are these scanned? There are some marks in the sky of #4.
Thanks Jerome, that is really appreciated. There are many reasons why it took so long to come back such as, among others, taking a good look at my photography and how and why I take photographs. You could call it coming to terms with it. It took a long time and I went through some rough patches such as changing camera systems twice in just 6 months. But I am confident enough now again to rejoin our community and contribute in a positive way.

The pictures are not scanned. The marks in the 4th one is the wet snow (sleet) coming down. It is not very easy to identify in the web-sized version. I have also added film grain in the post processing to create a more traditional BW look.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo Juntunen View Post
Hi Cem, first of all nice to see you're back! I trust you're well.
Yes, scenes like these are fascinating. There is something terrifying in a modern industrial environment. They seem so... completely free of any human touch. Or any need of human touch, for that matter. Your processing brought this thought to my mind.
Cheers Jarmo, I am glad to hear your thoughts on these. I am well, thanks. I hope so are you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
I like them all Cem, but the second one really carries a wallop. Well done!
It is nice to be chatting with you again Tom. The 2nd one is indeed a powerful image, even if I say so myself.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Thanks Jerome, that is really appreciated. There are many reasons why it took so long to come back such as, among others, taking a good look at my photography and how and why I take photographs. You could call it coming to terms with it. It took a long time and I went through some rough patches such as changing camera systems twice in just 6 months. But I am confident enough now again to rejoin our community and contribute in a positive way.
Don't tell me about changing camera systems and post these images to this thread instead. And if you need prints, I would be delighted to oblige.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,396
Default

Cem,

There's great majesty in these industrial spaces. Yes, they's be welcome, as Jerome implies, in our developing exhibition. You've managed to transform each to something demanding of attention. Did you use SNS HDR before converting to B&W?

asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Maggie Terlecki Maggie Terlecki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,843
Default

Cem, as usual, I'm always mesmerized by your images. You take something as simple and bland as industrial areas and turn them in to dramatic scenes which stop us in our tracks and make us think about our life and times and the environment in which we both work and live. You have a magic touch to take something stark, void of people and be able to give it strength, mood, depth and a bit of angst. I think it is called vision. I, personally think that you are such a fine artistic photographer and it bewilders me to think you could have possibly lost sight of that. Good to know you have retrieved your mojo.
Thanks for sharing.
Maggie
__________________
there's a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in ~Leonard Cohen
my personal website
my website with articles,interviews etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

They're OK I suppose. The camera helped a lot, being a Nikon. Now that I think of it, did you blot out any people to get the shots human free? Just seems a bit strange you and the fine and beautiful Hanny were the only people on the planet that day. And the place is so clean! No beer cans or cigarette butts.
It is good to see you here, Cem. I need you when the going gets tough. You're the only person here who appreciates my humour. Nothing has changed much. They're still a bit sensitive about colourful language and religion and they love chopping up people's pictures.
I would never do such a thing as you know - although the first shot has 4 trees in it and it could have done with just 3 - FenShui and all.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Murray Foote Murray Foote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 394
Default

Welcome back, Cem. Some great images there. I thought I particularly liked the second one when I got to it but some of the others are probably just as strong.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,489
Default

Hi, Cem,

First, so glad to see you here on the forum again.

These are fabulous images.

On the one shot I was surprised to see the very US-style tank cars, and most surprising the marking GATX, very familiar in the US.

GATX Corporation was originally General American Transportation Corporation, and the reporting mark for their rail cars was GATX, the "X" meaning that the car did not belong to the railroad itself (but rather, in this case, to General American Transportation) but was leased to the railroad by the owner. General American would then make it available to the shipper of the goods.

The railroad would charge the actual shipper of the goods for hauling the goods (in the "railroad's car", although they had gotten it by leasing it) but would pay General American for the use of the car.

One object of all this was that the cars that were used were of special designs that could most safely transport the actual shipper's goods, cars the railroad would not care to invest in itself.

The reporting mark "GATX" became so familiar on American railroads that the company eventually adopted it as its corporate name.

Hope you are doing well.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Don't tell me about changing camera systems and post these images to this thread instead. And if you need prints, I would be delighted to oblige.
Thanks Jerome, I will keep that in mind. I do own an Epson 3800, so printing up to 17" wide is no problem.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Cem,

There's great majesty in these industrial spaces. Yes, they's be welcome, as Jerome implies, in our developing exhibition. You've managed to transform each to something demanding of attention. Did you use SNS HDR before converting to B&W?

asher
Hi Asher, thanks for the kind words. I did not use SNS-HDR on these, although I could have done so. In this case, it was the Nik ColorEfex filters. If I want to print these large, however, I will possibly rework the post processing at which point SNS-HDR might come into play
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Terlecki View Post
Cem, as usual, I'm always mesmerized by your images. You take something as simple and bland as industrial areas and turn them in to dramatic scenes which stop us in our tracks and make us think about our life and times and the environment in which we both work and live. You have a magic touch to take something stark, void of people and be able to give it strength, mood, depth and a bit of angst. I think it is called vision. I, personally think that you are such a fine artistic photographer and it bewilders me to think you could have possibly lost sight of that. Good to know you have retrieved your mojo.
Thanks for sharing.
Maggie
Hi Maggie, long time no hear. I hope that you are doing fine? I really appreciate your kind words and I think that you believe more in me as an artist than I do believe in myself, lol. Losing sight of what one can do is possibly a common trait in many artists. When our daughter was a baby we have read a book about the development of babies. Basically it stated that the children's growth happens in spurts, just before which there is a decline period. In that period, the child is gearing itself up to start using the newly acquired skills. Perhaps it is also like that for grown ups, who knows? The fact is, my "apathy" in photography in the past year did not mean that I wasn't involved with photography, on the contrary! In no small scale thanks to my mate Tom and friends like yourself.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
They're OK I suppose. The camera helped a lot, being a Nikon. Now that I think of it, did you blot out any people to get the shots human free? Just seems a bit strange you and the fine and beautiful Hanny were the only people on the planet that day. And the place is so clean! No beer cans or cigarette butts.
It is good to see you here, Cem. I need you when the going gets tough. You're the only person here who appreciates my humour. Nothing has changed much. They're still a bit sensitive about colourful language and religion and they love chopping up people's pictures.
I would never do such a thing as you know - although the first shot has 4 trees in it and it could have done with just 3 - FenShui and all.
Yeah, they may be OK Tom, who knows? Or terrible at the same time. The silent majority who don't comment possibly think that they are awful pictures. In the past I would have cared about such things. Now it is only the sharing of what I saw and captured which matters. The rest is moot. Unless of course I hadn't used a Nikon camera, in which case they would go to the trash bin directly.

I saw that you were having all that fun here without me so eventually I had to butt in, didn't I? Don't worry, I will cover your back. But who will cover mine? I used to hate the fact that we talk about religion and politics here. Now I take it as a given which I may ignore at will. After all, we all have our own idiosyncrasies. Although "teaching" others how their pictures could have been "better" still gets my hairs ruffled. I mean, why can't we take a picture as presented as a given and comment on what we see without having to chop it into pieces or adding the presumably missing adjacent parts to the picture? Just tell the photographer what you see and how it moves you (if at all) and let the photographer decide whether he/she has then achieved his/her goals or not. We should learn looking at pictures and forget about our own prejudices and habits. It is not us who took the picture, why the heck should we be telling the photographer to crop this or to change that? Go take your own pictures instead and share them here with us!

I did not do any cloning in the pictures to remove people or any other picture elements although I did remove the occasional dust bunnies. My lovely Hanny has wisely let me go out on my own so I was actually the only human in the area on that day. It has helped of course that it was a Sunday and the weather was horrible. And regarding the cleanliness of the place, I would think that it is a contradiction in terms, lol.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Foote View Post
Welcome back, Cem. Some great images there. I thought I particularly liked the second one when I got to it but some of the others are probably just as strong.
Hi Murray. Even though I haven't commented much recently, I have been following your blog and enjoying the pictures. I really think that you are doing a great job in not only showing the pictures but also telling the stories behind them. Everybody: spend some time looking at Murray's blog and you will see what I mean.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Cem,

First, so glad to see you here on the forum again.

These are fabulous images.

On the one shot I was surprised to see the very US-style tank cars, and most surprising the marking GATX, very familiar in the US.

GATX Corporation was originally General American Transportation Corporation, and the reporting mark for their rail cars was GATX, the "X" meaning that the car did not belong to the railroad itself (but rather, in this case, to General American Transportation) but was leased to the railroad by the owner. General American would then make it available to the shipper of the goods.

The railroad would charge the actual shipper of the goods for hauling the goods (in the "railroad's car", although they had gotten it by leasing it) but would pay General American for the use of the car.

One object of all this was that the cars that were used were of special designs that could most safely transport the actual shipper's goods, cars the railroad would not care to invest in itself.

The reporting mark "GATX" became so familiar on American railroads that the company eventually adopted it as its corporate name.

Hope you are doing well.

Best regards,

Doug
Dear Doug,

I have missed you a lot my friend, glad to be back so that we can continue from where we've left. Are you enjoying your new life and new home in Alamogordo? I hope you do. And I hope that your lovely Carla is being as socially active as she was back in Texas.

Great info on the GATX cars. I did not know that, but of course we have you to help us out on such areas of obscure knowledge. This image is of the BASF plant in Antwerp, Belgium. I can't guess how the GATX cars have ended up here.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Michael Nagel Michael Nagel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 2,275
Default

Cem,

nice to see you back!

I am with Tom on number two.

But - gear, it is just gear - don't put too much weight on it. I has to do what you want, but it is your eye that counts...
You know my take on gear and maybe it is a little bit harsher than what I just wrote...

Welcome back!

Best regards,
Michael
__________________
I do not call myself an artist, I just try to capture what I see.
If you need many words to describe what your picture means, it doesn't speak enough for itself.
my photos on flickr - here is the portion posted in OPF.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Thanks for the warm welcome Michael. Regarding the comments about gear, it was all sarcasm and not serious. ;)
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:39 PM
tony manttan tony manttan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 41
Default

great series they are exactly like i saw in china on all 4 of my trips there
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony manttan View Post
great series they are exactly like i saw in china on all 4 of my trips there
Thanks Tony, appreciated. Are you going to show some pictures from China? I will look forward to seeing them.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Paul Abbott Paul Abbott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: W. Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,562
Default

Good images, Cem. You have a little project starting here, no?
__________________
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Cem_Usakligil Cem_Usakligil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
Good images, Cem. You have a little project starting here, no?
Yes indeed Paul, it seems that way. Thanks.
__________________
Kind Regards, Cem

flickr
website
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old February 14th, 2018, 01:31 AM
Marius Titulescu Marius Titulescu is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Default

Unfortunately this is the case in most cities in China. Industrial desolation is the theme of the country.
__________________________________________
Marius
Our achievements
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:44 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Titulescu View Post
Unfortunately this is the case in most cities in China. Industrial desolation is the theme of the country.
__________________________________________
Marius
Our achievements
You picked a favorite of mine.


Thanks Marius!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industrial sites: Factories and more! Rachel Foster Themes 15 March 23rd, 2011 08:02 AM
Aspiring Industrial Photographer Ian Murphy Introduce Yourself 2 December 3rd, 2008 06:47 PM
Working with industrial plastics Antonio Correia Layback Cafe 2 August 25th, 2008 09:28 AM
Professional Industrial Members? JimCollum Architectural - Industrial 4 June 4th, 2006 10:27 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!