• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What defines a good photo? -> Ebenen (Levels)

Michael Nagel

This is one of the few photos I got a 'so what?' feedback on.
There was no constructive criticism, so I do ask here.
No need to be gentle...

Here it is:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael, I seldom post critiques here because I never post for critique. But, I have to agree with the "so what" reaction to this. The idea (geometric shapes, colors, and planes) is good and more exploration of this site (auto museum?) might yield a better view point.

The cars add nothing to the picture except clutter, as does whatever that is in the top right corner, and the lights? just below that. The people add scale, but if the photo was about shape, line, and form is size and scale necessary?

In a photo like this, where the emphasis is on line, shape, and form, anything that doesn't contribute is a detriment.

In fact that holds true for many (most?) photos.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
First, Michael,

I commend you on putting up this image for discussion. When one visits a place, there's so much that makes it exciting. I can imagine the actual architecture is thrilling, but not the view you have used. When walking around, one is building up such a complex, multilayered understanding of the unique world the place presents. Here, perhaps, you might have done better photographing from a different vantage point or else using, for example, wide angle lens to bring out the levels you saw but can't demonstrate here.

In processing the picture, of course, you might be able to alter the lighting of different floors of each of the buildings and create an impressive new composition.

No need to be gentle...Best regards,
Michael

Here it is:

I assume that a picture, unless stated otherwise, has been made under the control of the photographer and at some moment it seemed "right" and so the shutter was released. Here, there's nothing that gives it a title on it's own by virtue of what we see. So there's no one shot, there are no lovers kissing and the place is not on fire. All we see is a sterile modern construction of rectangular lit colored buildings with a pedestrian crossing bridge in the foreground.

So what to make of it. Well here we need the title and it says just Ebenen or Levels. Now there are figures to the left entering on to the walkway at the second level. So we'd expect, perhaps that what enters on the second level would somehow relate to the title levels. But that's just a car below. The are no levels obvious in the buildings. The theme of "Levels" is not engraved into the picture in any way I can see, beyond the obvious fact that there's entrance into the frame of machine on the lower level and people on the second level. Unfortunately, there's nothing special about either the car or the folk coming into the scene that distinguishes them from happenstance. There are no gestures or actions by the figures and no emblem or flag on the car or broken windshield to allow us to conjure up some meaning.

Now I mentioned meaning. Well there's no need to have meaning to have a great picture. Then one needs to have a demanding composition or pattern.

Now, let's start over. Imagine that we took the picture as folk were entering above and saw the car entering below and felt on implse that's worth capturing. We see that it's either about the buildings or about the folk, not important folk, just anyone, perhaps, entering this building complex.

Then what could the title be. Simplistically, one could say, "Entering", or "Entering the Crowded Workplace", after all it isn't crowded, or say on the "Entering modern nihilism" or something even smarter. If this was for an editorial, then the text would complete the composition.

As it is, it lacks a dominant thought or pattern or motif and the title doesn't belong.

Asher

Asher Kelman

No need to be gentle...

Here it is:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Let me get to the separate but most challenging question, "What defines a good photo" Let's look at artists we know who make good photos.

• Obviously if you asked Jim Galli, he'd look for some subtle way the subject is transformed agreeably by the use of the lens.

• Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee consider that the photograph is built from structure seen on the ground glass prior to exposure of the image. The picture is only made when all the needed elements are where they should be and also it feels right, otherwise the shot is not made. So structure comes before meaning.

• Tom Dinning might say "Balls to all that!! Here's'my picture, it was taken by my camera, I had nothing to do with it.

• Edward Weston would work for months choosing his still life objects, balancing them and waiting every day for the right light and getting the esthetics as close to perfection one could achieve. He often succeeded!

So what are the common threads?

There is none but the sparking of our interest and then our satisfaction, and it's character, the levels of which determine the future of the picture. How you make that compelling interest is up to you.

Unfortunately, a picture can miss its mark if the viewers have no landmarks to understand it. Well, structure and content if impressive enough might save it, but it would not, of necessity be more than a good photo. A title, the right title, can limit out attention and allow us to insert the missing pieces to complete the composition and the content. from our own imagination.

So the challenge is really, for this particular picture, rescue me, I need a title to add context, structure and content.

Michael Nagel: What should my title be?

My concept of ART, which is based on the experience of the viewer or audience, would support the idea that there's a title that good make this picture work well as a "Good Photograph", despite any perceived shortcomings. I'd love to see some brilliant term that completes it. Then our brains will imagine what else is needed.

Asher

Jerome Marot

What people mean when they say "so what" is usually that your picture does not tell them anything, that they do not see the point of the image. Here, there are too many elements scattered in the frame with no clear connections between them, so the viewer does not see which one is essential and the eyes wanders around. If you want to take pictures in the BMW World building, it is probably better to either select a detail, which then becomes your point or to take a general view, in which case the building and its vast space becomes the subject.

I can see why you took that picture: the colors are harmonious and the lines define various shapes. But it does not work because it lacks a point to give it unity. As it is, it is just a collection of colors and lines in a rectangle. With distractions: the cars, the people, the row of lights, the black ceiling with its top right triangle.

Note that some persons still appreciate this kind of picture, so do not take my words as final.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom Dinning might say "Balls to all that!! Here's'my picture, it was taken by my camera, I had nothing to do with it.
Such language and all that Asher, and you a professional man and all.
Michael,don't take too much notice of that lot above. Some days I think they want every picture to be a piece of art and a beauty to beheld.
People get a bit lazy. Firstly, if it doesn't interest the they pass it by pretty quickly. So don't take offense. You can't please everyone. Some days you can't please anyone. In the only exhibition I ever held in 45 years of this business the only thing I heard from anyone about my favourite print in the show was 'nice and sharp'. I stuck the bloke with something nice and sharp and have never held another exhibition.
As a photograph I find your view of whatever interesting as a viewpoint. I can well place myself here and think 'Mmmm. I could go there and have a look around. Looks interesting' and that's all you may want from the photo. It's what I might refer to as a spontaneous, explanatory photo and our lives are filled with such moments. It's the place from which we start conversations, collect our memories, share our experiences and develop. Our skills as story tellers. I have thousands of these on file and I bet the people here have a few as well, of which few would post here.
You're a brave man for doing so. Not because it's a bad photo but because you are among the wolves. I like the photo for what it stands for. Please take more and post them here. In this way we can get a sense of who you are and what you do.
Some people have no imagination!
Tom

Helene Anderson

I like the photo! My first thought was 'Trafic' (the film from 1971). I like the clean lines, the minimalism. Sort of 1950s idea of the future.

I'm intrigued by the building.

While . . .
Tom Dinning might say "Balls to all that!! Here's'my picture, it was taken by my camera, I had nothing to do with it.

I would say, or ask, what is, where is the story, tell me about the building.

So, a like from me then.

Mark Hampton

No need to be gentle...

Here it is:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

to answer the question - the viewer defines a good photo.

what was the subject for the maker in the work you posted?

for me I enjoyed it - it will not change my life in great way but it did provide me with a moment that was outside what is around me.

cheers

Michael Nagel

Thanks for all the critique and reactions - it will take some time to answer all.

Before I start with individual answers, here are some general remarks about the photo.

As I compose in an intuitive way, some thoughts on why I framed this way came up when looking at the result.

There colors are in the way I saw them that afternoon.
The two people on the walkway were important for me - I would have liked them more to the middle, but this was the only shot possible as a crowd populated the walkway a few seconds later.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Michael, I seldom post critiques here because I never post for critique. But, I have to agree with the "so what" reaction to this. The idea (geometric shapes, colors, and planes) is good and more exploration of this site (auto museum?) might yield a better view point.

The cars add nothing to the picture except clutter, as does whatever that is in the top right corner, and the lights? just below that. The people add scale, but if the photo was about shape, line, and form is size and scale necessary?

In a photo like this, where the emphasis is on line, shape, and form, anything that doesn't contribute is a detriment.

In fact that holds true for many (most?) photos.

Charles, thanks for the detailed critique.
The photo was - for me - about two people lost in a clean, mostly empty envorinment.
The bit of differently coloured ceiling (Two years ago when I took that photo I decided against cropping, now I would crop just above the two lamps on the ceiling) and the cars add clutter to the picture, but the cars add context as well.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

BMW Welt is to be seen to be appreciated. And I can imagine why one would take an image in there similar to the one that Michel has posted.

' So what ?' does not bother me as much as when I ask myself ' is this what I wanted ?'.

Are you satisfied with the result? That's all that matters. To me at least. But then again I do not have to market my photos as ' art '.

Michael Nagel

Asher,

thanks for your elborate comments. I do not have an answer on all your comments, but here are a few observations that sparked from your comments.
Apparently the moe complex the picture is, the more contect information is required.
The title could be better - at least the translated one.
Ebenen could be translated into 'floors' as seen at the different walkways, but also levels in its different declinations.
Maybe I find a better translation..

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

It is actually the BMW Museum

Jerome,

I understand that you feel distracted by the details you describe - I simply did not see them as these are just part of the enviroment I did not consider as other viewers might do.
The cars are important, as these provide context.

BTW - This is actually the BMW Museum, the new part to be precise.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

I understand that you feel distracted by the details you describe - I simply did not see them as these are just part of the enviroment I did not consider as other viewers might do.
The cars are important, as these provide context.

BTW - This is actually the BMW Museum, the new part to be precise.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Sometimes, a picture cannot be shown in a corner or on aback background or anywhere else it doesn't belong. I have experienced certain pictures differently when they are seen in the context of images that we see before and after that particular image. That was the case with a recent series by Mitch Alland of Bangkok, where the ordering of photos made the pictures work very well.

I wonder whether you might have other pictures that reinforce the ideas you have expressed about the two people entering the scene or the stark modernity of the place.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

I find the difference in hue (green-ish vs. blue-ish) on the two orientations of large surfaces somehow disturbing.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Asher,

I cannot show another view with the two people as this was a singular occasion, but I can show more of the interior (you asked for it). I will stick to the new part of the BMW Museum.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Having seen you additional images, especially this one, I can imagine a series with just two figures in each and the ordering would then perhaps give the meaning you intend. Sometimes, (as in the Bangkok series I mentioned above), an complex idea might be covered very well by pictures, each of which are insufficient to stand on there own. I know a lot of folk would demand that each picture be worthy of being exhibited alone, but I'd say they were mistaken.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, you are welcome to come to Munich and have a look at the building. Now: can you answer the question, which was explicitly about constructive criticism?

Was I being less constructive? How constructive would you like me to be, Jerome?
Might I suggest that criticism isn't always about telling people what they should and should n't do. It may well be about talking to them about their motives. How about you answer the 'question' your way and I'll do it mine. That way well get our say and people aren't bullied into doing as you say.
I haven't got time to go to Munich this week. Maybe next week.

Asher Kelman

It may well be about talking to them about their motives.

Tom,

Yes, we do deserve a light rap on the knuckles for ignoring motivation for the image and for sure it doesn't have to be intended for ART to earn one's living, selling it in a fine gallery!

I admit, myself, when someone asks me , "Is this photo working?", I can say to myself, for what? "Documentation, Fashion for Vogue or what?" Sometimes, the very nature of the photograph gives a clue.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Tom,

thanks for the encouragement. Don't worry - this is a good occasion for me to learn and as I do not have to earn my money with photography, I enjoy the freedom I have to take the photos I like, may these be good or bad :)

And yes - if you happen to come to Munich be sure to tell and we can make a tour in the museum.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Hélène,

Thanks. Tati is a flattering reference.

Reading your comment I thought of the late Jean Giraud, better known as Moebius. He used in his drawings sometimes similar sets of colors.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Mark,

thanks - especially for the description on what impression the photo made on you.
This is very helpful for me.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Fahim,

thanks for looking in. Yes - I got the picture I wanted.

I was there quite a few times - maybe I should show some more.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

yes - a series containing this picture could make sense - I have to figure out which order.

Best regards,
Michael