• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Soft Focus and soft bokeh favorites

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
PhilipSomberS.jpg

philip, somber

Our beloved pastor's son, done last evening at the farmer's market. They left Nevada this AM to take him to Virginia Tech. Philip has a brilliant mind and a sweet spirit.

I consider this portrait to be just about as 'straight' as a portrait can be. Done in open shade with the 8X10 Kodak camera and a Bausch & Lomb petzval portrait lens. 15" f5 wide open @ 1/25th second.

This is an interesting shot. There's a sense of great reserve in strength and quiet confidence as well as peace of mind. I'd have thought this was a portrait of a gut going to the marines and destined to become a great officer! He's one lucky guy to have you take this picture. This man is at the cusp of great changes. He'll meet such a spread of new people and ideas. That's a huge challenge and even a culture shock. Doubtless he'll make great friends there and do himself proud. He seems very fit. Does he do sports or is he a workout type?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I have resposted this picture as a tribute to the pastor and to the unique character of portraits using Petzval, projector and soft focus lenses, by what ever means available.

I hope you will add your own favorites.

Asher

Asher Kelman

In order to approach this kind of work, we must think of the brutally clinical photographs made with bitingly sharp high contrast lenses that were introduced once film was mastered as a commercial medium.

This constitutes the ethereal escape from that didactic straight jacket.

Asher