• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dual G5 Crashes!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have had my dual G5 2.3 GHZ kenrnel panicking like a wild stallion that was recently roped!

Apple said it was bad RAM which we replaced.

Now it get stuck, simply freezes every few minutes. Of course my boot drive has just 24GB free, but that should be enough.

I read in XLR8tyourmac that this issue happens with a recent quicktime or other updates and with OSX updates. So I'm not alone. anyone else have repeated freezes?

"I hate to keep repeating this but as I mentioned in Tuesday's news (and twice on the 10.4.9 feedback/tips page), to help avoid problems with OS X updates you should quit out of any running apps and -not disturb the mac- during the update/"Optimizing" (prebinding) phase (notes on this are in an Unsanity article on How Installing Apple's Updates can Render Your Mac Unbootable and How You Can Prevent it linked several times in the past here[). For those that had problems after an OS X update, include a note if you followed that rule. Thanks. (There can be other causes of problems with updates of course - Bugs, incompatible software/addons, corrupted files/prefs, etc but prebinding problems apparently are a fairly common cause.) "

I'm using 10.4.8 on the Macbook Pro and 10.3.9 on my G4 which are working well. Just the dual G5 with 10.4.8!

I wonder who else has worked on this problem?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
I have had my dual G5 2.3 GHZ kenrnel panicking like a wild stallion that was recently roped!

Apple said it was bad RAM which we replaced.

Now it get stuck, simply freezes every few minutes. Of course my boot drive has just 24GB free, but that should be enough.

I read in XLR8tyourmac that this issue happens with a recent quicktime or other updates and with OSX updates. So I'm not alone. anyone else have repeated freezes?

"I hate to keep repeating this but as I mentioned in Tuesday's news (and twice on the 10.4.9 feedback/tips page), to help avoid problems with OS X updates you should quit out of any running apps and -not disturb the mac- during the update/"Optimizing" (prebinding) phase (notes on this are in an Unsanity article on How Installing Apple's Updates can Render Your Mac Unbootable and How You Can Prevent it linked several times in the past here[). For those that had problems after an OS X update, include a note if you followed that rule. Thanks. (There can be other causes of problems with updates of course - Bugs, incompatible software/addons, corrupted files/prefs, etc but prebinding problems apparently are a fairly common cause.) "

I'm using 10.4.8 on the Macbook Pro and 10.3.9 on my G4 which are working well. Just the dual G5 with 10.4.8!

I wonder who else has worked on this problem?

Asher

Did you try to boot from the system disk and use disk-utilty from there? Permissions-repair?

I suggest de-connecting ALL external devices and boot from the OS X dvd.

best, Klaus (will be back in an hour . . ;-) )

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Before that I would do a clean install from the DVD with a brand new system. I have 10.4.9 installed on Dual G5 and have no problem at all.
BUT before any software update I run permission repairs from disk utility and after update ALSO.

I use Cocktail once per month on all Macs... (G4, G5, Intel) for years...

Asher Kelman

They did that for me, LOL!

I presume, Nicolas, that there's Bordeaux in the Cocktail, but then that would be a sin, am immortl sin!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Mac's are supposed to be trouble free

Mac's are supposed to be trouble free. At least that is what I hear when there is the Mac vs PC debate. Sort of like the Canon vs Nikon debates that every one is so passionate about.

FWIW - I am multiplatformed and I have both a Nikon and a Canon...

We have a dual g5 in our graphics/video group... it had a couple of things go weird.. 1st a bad ram, but you have replaced that.. then the processor started to go. This caused lockups and such. After giving it to the local apple repair shop, they replaced the processors and all has been well...
I work with both Mac and PC (repair at a university).. they both die, they both lock up.. they all have software issues.. about the same fail rate.. As far a I am concerned (since I have to fix them) they are the same.. Neither opsys is infallible and stuff happens.
After the last upgrade from Apple 1 of the Macs in our office stopped running Adobe Illustrator.. We did a new install (over the old) of OSX and let it update over the internet.. and everything worked.
I have one machine that every (and I mean every) time it gets an upgrade from apple it dies... Reinstall OSX and let it upgrade, including the one that killed it, it will work fine..
Oh well ... I have 10 identical PCs that 1 will crap out during upgrades.. So as I said both Mac and PC have their issues.. Both are great, when they work... sort of like autofocus..

nicolas claris

They did that for me, LOL!

I presume, Nicolas, that there's Bordeaux in the Cocktail, but then that would be a sin, am immortl sin!

Asher

Nope! no Bordeaux in this one!

Then, before bringing the Mac to Apple (in France, doing this, you know that you won't get it back at least before 3 weeks)... So I would do a search on Apple's Fora - G5 there's always some things to learn reading this, but sometimes scary too!

BTW I f I do remember well, on the G5, RAM goes by identical pairs... better check that too, even twice ;-)

Paul Ware

More info you may want to read
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070528113008633

Another huge resource on OSX troubleshooting, www.macfixit.com, charges for most older information but they are talking about these crashes in the free recent news.

As has been mentioned, when upgrading, running security patches or adding any software always rebuild permissions before and after. We rebuild permissions once a week on each OSX Mac.

Sounds like a nasty problem.
Paul

Jonathan Hutt

I still haven't updated my Macbook Pro... I just sold my 20" iMac and I'm only with the single MBP right now. I can't afford to be down for any time at all so I'm waiting to update until I can purchase either a MacPro (or a new intel iMac, but it seems like a waste when I'm going to want a new MacPro in a couple months anyway.

Eric Hiss

Re-order the RAM and reseat them all

Hi Asher,
Perhaps you have this problem licked by now, but I have two PowerMacs - on in my studio and one at home and both kernal paniced when I bought new RAM. The problem turned out to be the order of the RAM in one and a reseat in the other. They need to be set biggest size to smallest size from center outward - ie if you have 1Gb and 512Mb sticks then the 1Gb should go in the slot closest to the center. Next all chips need to be taken out and reseated firmly. I thought I did this well the first time when I bought the new ram sets but it took two more times to get it right.

Also 2 other problems that can turn up. If you have EEC and non EEC ram mixed this will give you a problem. Also if your matched pairs are not (try swapping if you have multiples).

Where did you buy your RAM? I don't believe they are all the same.
Eric

Asher Kelman

Thanks Eric,

I'l recheck that it's largest in the center working outwards. I may have put the Apple Ram there, which is less, since I thought the best RAM should be there!

My other RAM comes from OWC ie macsales.com

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I checked it and my largest RAM cards are in the center! so that is not the issue.

I also have just one external SATA drive working so it's not as if it is overloaded with input!

Asher

nicolas claris

My local Mac Guru told me that all the ram in the Macpro should be same brand and same capacity, this is what I have, and I don't remember of system crash on that machine since I have it ('bout a year)…

Eric Hiss

I checked it and my largest RAM cards are in the center! so that is not the issue

Asher

Did you try taking the RAM in and out? They are in pairs right? Maybe switch the big sticks from side to side, keeping them in the center and then swap pair partners on the ones that are matched in size.

Forgot to ask you if you booted from the Apple Hardware test CD and ran any of the system tests?

Eric