• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[UV] Winter Aconite

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Winter Aconite flowers shot today in reflected ultraviolet light at Herrmanshof Park, Weinheim, Germany

young ones, just opened:
original.jpg

in decay:
original.jpg

note how the yellow 365nm reflection has deteriorated. Does it indicate to bees "not worth visiting anymore" ?
Also worth noting, that the young ones are actually UV-black outside, so that might stop bees from visiting
before the flowers are actually wide open and "bee-ready", i.e. has nectar to offer.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is interesting. Who's funded enough to actually do the studies to determine what the story is?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not me ;) but maybe some tax payers funded, well equipped research institute could?

It would appear that such research could have major economic significance in understanding pollination. Right now, be populations are under severe threat. I'd imagine that one could make a great case for detailed study of the effect of UV markings on pollination efficiency.

Asher