Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Asher Kelman's Public and Private Art

Asher Kelman's Public and Private Art Yes I photograph for many reasons. Much of my work has been with public charities to pay back for the opportunities given to me all my life. This year I'm going public with Photography shows and sculptures submitted for folk to enjoy in city gardens and parks. So let me share with you what I do!

Old December 9th, 2018, 12:27 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Folk I love to work with in my studio!

It's busy, I really have no idea what I am going to do that day. It happens spontaneously: what clothes are available, did we get a makeup artist, is Kirstie my assistant available or off shooting in Texas or Montreal etc!

I plan to share a few from a studio shoot earlier this: one of two lovely new friends from France.

Asher Kelman: French Model #1

March 2018 Los Angeles

jpg out of the camera, not edited

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 9th, 2018, 05:41 AM

She is almost wearing those wheat fronds in her hair. The cloth table covering is curious. In some areas the outer ring dots have lost their color. Do the French snack on tomatoes?
Old December 9th, 2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
She is almost wearing those wheat fronds in her hair. The cloth table covering is curious. In some areas the outer ring dots have lost their color. Do the French snack on tomatoes?
Thanks for commenting, Peter!

Yes, she’s into the fronds. The cloth does have two materials. Could be that my lights have caused the effect you see. It,s white light and perhaps I need to correctvthis with a luminous mask.

The french do actually love tomatoes! However she’s eating persimmon!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 9th, 2018, 09:00 AM

The “dots” are round openings, empty spaces. So on the left, one sees either “camel hair color” the hue of the cloth, or where there is space, black.

Near the lights, the cloth underneath is reflecting as white.

I could even those out during processing from raw.

Thanks for pointing out the disparity. I will look out for that next time!

BTW, there are no “tomatoes”. Those are all delicious persimmons and they get eaten fast!

Asher

Old December 9th, 2018, 10:23 AM

That explains it. I should have noticed.
Old December 10th, 2018, 06:15 PM

A wonderful composition Asher... I like it! The glass vase would bounce the light around a fair bit too might want to consider a bit more decoration. Some type of material around the vase.

Best, Regards
James
Old December 10th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
A wonderful composition Asher... I like it! The glass vase would bounce the light around a fair bit too might want to consider a bit more decoration. Some type of material around the vase.

Best, Regards
James
Thanks James for the visit and the feedback. I always welcome your ideas.

Asher

Old December 10th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Asher Kelman: French Model #2

March 2018 Los Angeles

Old December 12th, 2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

March 2018 Los Angeles

Asher

Nice colours and I am left with the thought of what is underneath? Too much whites in the eyes for me. I think it is best to have the models eyes follow their nose.

Best, regards
James
Old December 12th, 2018, 12:28 PM

Whites in the eyes? That’s a trompe de l’oeil for you! It only appears that way as the bg is black. There image is out of the camera and uncorrected!

But when I process it from RAW I will look out for that “effect”.

Asher

Old December 12th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Whites in the eyes? That’s a trompe de l’oeil for you! It only appears that way as the bg is black. There image is out of the camera and uncorrected!

But when I process it from RAW I will look out for that “effect”.

Asher
Asher

It has nothing to do with processing. It is simply a matter of directing the model to have her eyes follow her nose, regardless of which direction the model turns their head. In this case here eyes are looking directly at the camera and her nose is in a different direction and thus too much of the whites in her eyes showing for my tastes.

Best, regards
James
Old December 12th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Asher

It has nothing to do with processing. It is simply a matter of directing the model to have her eyes follow her nose, regardless of which direction the model turns their head. In this case here eyes are looking directly at the camera and her nose is in a different direction and thus too much of the whites in her eyes showing for my tastes.

Best, regards
James
Ahah, James,

I understand your concept now! But I wanted her to decidedly look away from her nose, and at us! I will think about your own preference for eye-nose alignment in portraits to prevent “too much white sclera” showing.

I had never myself worried about that, but it’s certainly a relevant consideration in posing.

Thanks for your input!

Asher

Old December 30th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Location: Willimantic, CT, the Quiet Corner of Northeast CT in southern New England

Lovely. My preference is the first one. I find the second one is missing some lights despite the conversation about the whites of the eye. There is a missing brilliance to my way of seeing that seem to be being absorbed by the material of the blanket. Perhaps a lighter background would change things for me.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:32 PM

Thanks, Jean,

These are out of the camera. I will consider your ideas!

Asher

Old January 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM

It's funny how everyone has a different opinion. I love the second one where she is wrapped in a blanket and like her gaze peeking out at us through the thick tussle of hair. The dark background and the color blanket work so wonderfully with her skin tone and hair color and I find it fabulous.
But if we all loved the same things, life would be boring, wouldn't it?
Maggie
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:

March 2018 Los Angeles

I was thinking about this one again today. I kept thinking, would we remember The Girl with the Pearl Earring if she wasn't looking straight at us?
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Terlecki View Post
I was thinking about this one again today. I kept thinking, would we remember The Girl with the Pearl Earring if she wasn't looking straight at us?
Yes, Maggie, you may be spot on!

The earring appears to be the illusion from light behind her he’d appearing between her hair and the back of her neck!

Without that stare, nothing would be positioned so precisely and we would not conjure up that perfect pearl, which is not there!

I need to add a spot of light in my photograph, to the same effect!

Hilarious!

Asher