• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Relative Heat MacBookPro

Paul Caldwell

After using this 17" mac book pro now for a few weeks, I am rather concerned about the heat it is putting out.

I have found that when under XP via Boot camp after around 30 minutes, the base of the machine gets too hot to just be in your lap and after 10 or so more the palm rests also start to get hot. Compared to other dual core type machines I have played around with, the machine is much much hotter. I haven't loaded any software to read the processor's heat but will be doing that soon. I also haven't had it on the Apple side very much to know if this heat is a XP Boot camp problem or just a hot machine in general.

17" macbook Pro 1Gb of ram.

Paul C.

Paul Caldwell

No, but I am going to do some testing later today.

Just from working with the machine, if you are booted into XP it seems to run very hot, and if shut down and then come back into Mac, the temp to the touch is cooler. The bottom of the machine runs hot period, but you will start to get heat coming into the top of the keyboard more on the left than the right side.

It's also interesting to note that many have posted that Apple's contractors did a sloppy job with the application of the thermal paste on many of the internal chips, thus the heat is not disapated well. There have been some folks who have taken their machines apart and fixed this, however I am not up to that. I may call Apple and see what they think, however since XP via boot camp is not offically supported, I don't think I will get much of an answer.

This is why I am trying to find a software tool that can read the temps on the XP side.

Paul C.