• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A love story

Tom dinning

Registrant*

20111122_4928
by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Beware of the trap the spider weaves
There's nothing here that does deceive
But hidden in the spiders web
There's something here that must be said.

For each of us knows what is meant
By what the spider shows intent
But we eagerly submit to task
When its easier to simply ask.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom

I do not follow where the title, "Love Story", belongs. So I assume that it might apply to the picture above and perhaps the poetry too. I must admit, at first glance, the poetry escaped me so I have let it go for now.

20111122_4928
by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

My immediate reaction is, Tom, you have to be joking, this is not pretty! What on earth are you showing us!! But then I have to look again, as few of your pictures are actually "pretty"!

This picture shows a vase of roses that have been kept beyond their lifespan of beauty. The leaves are also not fresh but mostly withered, but still green, meaning that the neglect has only been fairly recent. Some petals lie, as if fallen, on the cloth below. The background is a fabric with a pretty pattern of vines and flowers. The cloth, however is not freshly laundered and ironed, but rather crumpled as if it had been taken from some pile of curtains or night dresses, that are no longer used.

So this picture is not built to impress us with beauty, for that can be found only if neglect and lingering death are beautiful. If I look at the body of your work, you have a penchance for humor and social commentary.

So let's look at it again: "A love Story"

Tom Dinning: A Love Story

So taking that as a clue and the title "Love Story", it implies, perhaps, that love lingers even when we are no longer pristine and our faces and bellies have sagged and hair is thinned and gray, the essence of love lingers, if it was valid in the first place. So now I can add the title and it makes sense. It's indeed about love.

Even if the whole intent is to show "You guys could take seriously any daftly-grabbed picture that I pulled together and throw at you and it will be received as tasty icecream!", I can place this within your other humorous shenanigans and say, (despite of your trickery), this is good work!

Thanks for sharing and testing us! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tom,

Now to your poem:

I could imagine this might mean, "Don't dismiss what at first seems complex or unusual, it's not a trick or puzzle, there's actually meaning here. If you ask, I'll explain it to you."

I can't find reference to this poem, so it's either obscure or perhaps you wrote it and even meant it to be gibberish. But, I have no problem with that, it's easier to understand!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tom Dinning: A Love Story

I didn't comment on the vase. We must assume that it's choice was no accident. It has a definite active twist to it, the result of which ones sees a new face. Same with relationships. The hidden gets disclosed and we still accept the loved one with all these new findings. We love in spite of our discoveries and the existence of mirrors. This picture, is in a way a mirror.

asher

Asher Kelman

Who's next? It's your turn now to figure this out!

20111122_4928
by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Now, lets restart! I've ranted enough, it's everyone else's turn.

Who's next?

Asher

Jerome Marot

I'll gladly take the next turn, but since the poem said it is easier, I would rather simply ask Tom what must be said.

Although, since I noticed a reference to " the classical still life shot of a vase of flowers and a wrinkled cloth" here, I think I have a pretty good idea of what must be said. Doesn't it have anything to do with pulled legs?

Helene Anderson

Flowers dead, relationship . . . . . dead.
A love story that was, that is no more, like the flowers.

As for the poem and spiders . . . . . black widow, some guy got caught, offered flowers, and then . . . . bop, or similar.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Well, anyone else going to venture here?

Asher
I wouldn't think so, Asher. Reasons include but not restricted to:
1. It's bring and I can't be bothered.
2. It's a **** photo and not worth commenting on.
3. It's way above my head.
4. I'll leave these wankers to play their games.
5. What's to say?
6. It's a bloody masterpiece. Just leave it at that.
7. I could do better.
8. I couldn't do better.
9. My three legged dog could do better.
10. It's dinner time.

Feel free to add to the list.

Cheers
Tom

Mark Hampton

I wouldn't think so, Asher. Reasons include but not restricted to:
1. It's bring and I can't be bothered.
2. It's a **** photo and not worth commenting on.
3. It's way above my head.
4. I'll leave these wankers to play their games.
5. What's to say?
6. It's a bloody masterpiece. Just leave it at that.
7. I could do better.
8. I couldn't do better.
9. My three legged dog could do better.
10. It's dinner time.

Feel free to add to the list.

Cheers
Tom

It makes me laugh. I don't like putting Lol on the forum much. Also it brings to mind images of David and George.