• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Salts Mill - Test shot...

Paul Abbott

I often use my phone as a visual notebook when I don't have my camera, and so I used it here for taking a test shot of Salts Mill...

The phone has the in-built capability of producing some extraordinary post-processing vintage effects that are credible and really look the part and I couldn't resist using them, especially with the testing of this image... :)

saltsmill169700.jpg

Salts Mill - Saltaire, W. Yorkshire '14 - Test shot - Paul Abbott
Sony Xperia Z1 - shot & processed

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I often use my phone as a visual notebook when I don't have my camera, and so I used it here for taking a test shot of Salts Mill...

The phone has the in-built capability of producing some extraordinary post-processing vintage effects that are credible and really look the part and I couldn't resist using them, especially with the testing of this image... :)

saltsmill169700.jpg

Seems fine to me! I would have settled myself in with a glass of wine at the gallery and called my wife over to enjoy this print, without realizing for a moment that this was the sketch, LOL.

Now I'm eager to see the finished product.

If I had a wish, and I do not, it would be for a sliver more of sky above the chimney stack! But as "seconds" on Thanksgiving, it's not necessary!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks for your feedback on that, Maggie...

Asher, your quite right about the smokestack needing more room. I kind of lost it with the application of that 'frame' effect, it uses up the edges of the image.

I'm guessing that it would be a nice little project to acquire some images like this and to apply a 'vintage' effect to them all; and to self publish them in a small handbook. Dodging the trappings of modernity of course.
Just thinking out loud, and I guess it's a bit of a silly notion really, and regressive...and Francis Frith certainly wouldn't be eating his heart out.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for your feedback on that, Maggie...

Asher, your quite right about the smokestack needing more room. I kind of lost it with the application of that 'frame' effect, it uses up the edges of the image.

I'm guessing that it would be a nice little project to acquire some images like this and to apply a 'vintage' effect to them all; and to self publish them in a small handbook. Dodging the trappings of modernity of course.
Just thinking out loud, and I guess it's a bit of a silly notion really, and regressive...and Francis Frith certainly wouldn't be eating his heart out.

Not a silly notion after all, Paul. The iphone is one of the best cameras out there. The latest iphone 6 in its top model, is vibration stabilized! Getting hard to justify extra pocket cameras!

Look at Klaus' panoramas around the Acropolis in Athens! Fooled me - thought it was not only short with a real camera, but also fused to HDR in the professional SNS-HDR program.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Not a silly notion after all, Paul. The iphone is one of the best cameras out there. The latest iphone 6 in its top model, is vibration stabilized! Getting hard to justify extra pocket cameras!

Look at Klaus' panoramas around the Acropolis in Athens! Fooled me - thought it was not only shot with a real camera, but also fused to HDR in the professional SNS-HDR program.

Asher

Hee hee, glad you liked it Asher. But I did not really use HDR or a real HDR software, just some PS Express "Decloud" function to make it appear as HDR... Looking forward to seeing what the iPhone6 will be able to deliver.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

saltsmill169700.jpg

Excellent work Paul! Impressive!

Paul Abbott

Asher

Asher, the Z1 has 20mp (which is worth something in the camera phone market, I guess), has an optical zoom and is stabilised and waterproof. Also, the Z1's low light picture taking capability is fantastic, so much so it is insane!
The Apple iPhones are behind the game IMO...and have just started to play catch-up.

Thanks, Klaus...

Mike Shimwell

Asher, the Z1 has 20mp (which is worth something in the camera phone market, I guess), has an optical zoom and is stabilised and waterproof. Also, the Z1's low light picture taking capability is fantastic, so much so it is insane!
The Apple iPhones are behind the game IMO...and have just started to play catch-up.

Thanks, Klaus...

Hi Paul

Yes, the Z1 is far more capable in terms of imaging than I ever expect a phone to be, though I've still not got used to the idea of using a phone as a camera - old fogey that I am!

Were you visiting my end of the woods to be in Saltaire?

Cheers

Mike

Paul Abbott

Hey Mike, I now live in Lepton just outside of Huddersfield. I often go to Salts Mill with my partner Samantha to have lunch and to always browse Hockney's work there...

I have since taken another shot with the Z1 at Kings Cross train station in London. I am blown away by it's resolution and i'm pretty sure that this image will produce a large print of somewhere around 13"x18" approx. Again, this was in lowlight, ISO 160, F2...

kingsxroof640.jpg

Roof Interior - Kings Cross Station, London '14 - Paul Abbott
Sony Xperia Z1

Hey Mike, I now live in Lepton just outside of Huddersfield. I often go to Salts Mill with my partner Samantha to have lunch and to always browse Hockney's work there...

I have since taken another shot with the Z1 at Kings Cross train station in London. I am blown away by it's resolution and i'm pretty sure that this image will produce a large print of somewhere around 13"x18" approx. Again, this was in lowlight, ISO 160, F2...

kingsxroof640.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1

Now that is what I call, "pretty in pink". Nice!
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Sony is one of the most innovative camera companies this last several years, what with the plethora of capable full frame and APS-C mirrorless cameras and the 50MP CMOS sensor used by Phase One, Leaf, Hasselblad and Pentax and now your remarkable pictures from the Z1 camera phone. I must admit, I was so surprised that it had such a high resolution. and image stabilization as well as optical zoom and even being waterproof! The great advantage of consumer electronics is the ability to spread out cost of major innovation among millions of consumers. The classical camera companies don't have it together in the past year!

Perhaps my wife now deserves my iphone 6+ more than I do..............and I'll look at the Sony Z1!

Asher

Asher Kelman

kingsxroof640.jpg

Sony Xperia Z1

Paul,

This is wonderful! I like the fact that it requires no other tools than present in the phone and in fact, if one travels by train, one can have the pictures at their destination for publishing even before one arrives. I wonder whether this might be used by editorial photographers? I see no reason why this couldn't be made to a two page spread!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, sorry for this late reply...
Obviously, this phone's output cannot rival DSLR's and suchlike but it leaves me thinking that it's not a million miles away in quality...Anyway, I get a kick out of putting this phone through it's paces. :)

This scene was taken yesterday and is just up the road from where I live, in Yorkshire...

emleymast_B_W.jpg

Emley Moor & Mast in Snow - W. Yorkshire '14 - Paul Abbott
Sony Xperia Z1

Asher Kelman

Hey Asher, sorry for this late reply...
Obviously, this phone's output cannot rival DSLR's and suchlike but it leaves me thinking that it's not a million miles away in quality...Anyway, I get a kick out of putting this phone through it's paces. :)

This scene was taken yesterday and is just up the road from where I live, in Yorkshire...

emleymast_B_W.jpg

Emley Moor & Mast in Snow - W. Yorkshire '14 - Paul Abbott[/

i]
Sony Xperia Z1

Paul,

Your picture has impact and takes a bite out of my tendency to wonder away. Great use of this camera!

I think you'd agree that we have a great number of fabulously agile tools to photograph with almost zero incremental cost according to our whim and fancy.

What great times we have to enjoy the B&W output of an Experia, a Ricoh GR ...... and even for those with exceptional taste, the Leica M Monocrom, if I may mention Jim's work here too!

Asher