• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Elgin Marbles & Sitter - British museum, London '15

Paul Abbott

I don't think I have taken a single picture in over 8 months, it's been a very dry 'old well'.
So on a recent visit to the British Museum this weekend (with my other arf), I bagged this one for my 'colour street photography' practice.

I still got that 21mm firmly bolted on, and it does a grand job...

elginmarblesampsitterbritishmuseum640_zps3otxmr17.jpg

Elgin Marbles & Sitter - British Museum, London '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/ GW3 21mm (ISO 800, Snap Focus, 2m @ f4)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't think I have taken a single picture in over 8 months, it's been a very dry 'old well'.
So on a recent visit to the British Museum this weekend (with my other arf), I bagged this one for my 'colour street photography' practice.

I still got that 21mm firmly bolted on, and it does a grand job...

An interesting catch! Meditating, tired, in thought, angst we do not know but when we ask about her, we ask about the Elgin Marbles too, the representation of history and the provenance of being able to see them in London.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

I am intrigued by your slug line, "If america [sic] told the truth for just one day its whole world would fall apart."

Of course I get the point, and I am sympathetic to it. But, as a writer and editor, I am disturbed by its lack of actual specific meaning.

Does it refer to the president of the United States telling the truth, or the Secretary of State telling the truth, or all federal officials telling the truth, or all government officials at whatever level telling the truth, or all Americans telling the truth?

I'd sure enjoy the District 3 member of our Board of County Commissioners telling the truth for a whole day, or that fellow at the used tire shop.

So I'm afraid that this is one of those wondrous statements that says something without saying something.

Just sayin'.

And keep up your wonderful photographic work.

Best regards,

Doug

"Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.'

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Aren't we now happy to see that robbery has at least the advantage of procuring the ancient art of past civilizations for everyone visiting the museum. Also, one does not have to stretch one's neck to see them!

After the wanton destructions of museum sculptures in Iraq and Afghanistan, I'm reticent to continue to criticize the imperial plunder of conquered lands.

The claim of modern locals that the works are their heritage may not even hold water. In a few cases, such as Greece, their national claim is the most strong. However, other such places were loverrun by entirely foreign peoples and I doubt there's more than scant genetic ancestral lineage to the original creators.

Still, I never thought I would justify robberies, but it's a relief to see the Elgin marbles again. Returning them to Greece would open up claims that could empty Europe of priceless ancient artifacts whose continued existence are being threatened in their original homes.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks for the comments...

Asher, the girl in the photo appealed to me because of how she was sat, offering an analogy with the seated figures in the marbles. I've always sought and looked out for these kind of third elements.
As for Elgin's Marbles, it's noted that he actually asked the Greek authorities for permission to take them and it was given. Although, who can prove it? Maybe it's just propaganda, made to make Lord Elgin look good...
I don't think the west should give anything back, your right in the fact that it would set a precedent and the way the world is going we can't be too complacent that they'd be well appreciated, let alone taken care of.

Hey Doug, I don't mean to insult in any way but it pertains to US government and is a quote, in fact I should take it down because all governments around the world lie and deceive, really. Even my own bloody government...they're all short term thinkers, clever sillies, non compos mentes academics and elitists.
Anyway, thanks for your supporting words by way of my photography, Doug.

Asher Kelman

Asher, the girl in the photo appealed to me because of how she was sat, offering an analogy with the seated figures in the marbles.

Yes, that come through very well! An excellent 3rd element!

As for Elgin's Marbles, it's noted that he actually asked the Greek authorities for permission to take them and it was given. Although, who can prove it? Maybe it's just propaganda, made to make Lord Elgin look good...

I believe that Lord Elgin plundered them after arranging permission from the Turkish authorities who were the occupation regime. So the Greeks, AFAIK, never gave permission.

I don't think the west should give anything back, your right in the fact that it would set a precedent and the way the world is going we can't be too complacent that they'd be well appreciated, let alone taken care of.

Well, Greece would consider itself part of the West, LOL....................although it's economic and social viability leaves us with a lot of uncertainty about public safety. Still, I sincerely doubt that the Elgin Marbles, if returned to Athens, would ever be at risk. But the issue is not Greece. In fact, now that we know the policy of Isis, it won't be long before some museum attack on "immoral graven images" occurs! A few suicidal gunman could blow up an entire collection before any response was mounted. So, these cultural treasures are at risk everywhere.

The greatest mistake of the Bush Administration was to destroy the balance between Iran and Iraq, releasing the destructive pandemonium we now suffer.

Not since the sack of the great library of Alexandria have we seen such a major loss of irreplaceable heritage.

Asher

Paul Abbott

I totally agree with all of what you say, Asher. Don't get me started on Bush & Blair though (the lying, conniving and deceitful *astards they are. Those two bozos are the cause of all what's happening now!), I need to keep my blood pressure in check.
I will say this, at least Bush has about the only common-sense he could muster by keeping his head down with a low profile...over here we have Blair selling his memoirs for millions, and telling us all what a great place the European Union is to belong to, and getting paid millions for that too. How on earth anyone could give this tyrant the time of day, I don't know. Although, it seems his the darling of the EU...yet more idiocy coming out of that club it seems.

Anyway, I wonder if you would have known if they were the Elgin marbles if I hadn't had stated that in my title, Asher? I say this beacuse it's generated more emphasis on the Marbles than the photograph. I've now learnt something in titling a 'street' photograph, I should have known better really. Keep it simple, with just a location name, that's best and then the viewer is not swayed, methinks. :D

Regards...

Asher Kelman

An interesting catch! Meditating, tired, in thought, angst we do not know but when we ask about her, we ask about the Elgin Marbles too, the representation of history and the provenance of being able to see them in London.

Asher

Paul,

Your representation is seared in my brain. The chance observation of two complex entities, each unexplained, creates endless possibilities for consideration. It would be some coldness not to wonder about her own thoughts and feelings, looking as she is, as it were in refuge, in meditation or reflection but isolated from us and explanation. Similarly it would be stark ignorance not to recognize the irony of being in the safe presence of sculptures who's very existence would be at risk had they been moved, instead, to some Syrian or Iraqi province of the then, Ottoman Empire.

You didn't just take a picture of the girl or isolate the sculptured figures, rather you purposely built a startling and impressively powerful forcefield to draw us in to this existential conundrum. This is the "bullet through the head" execution picture of Vietnam, iconic and unforgettable, but though not as gruesome, a trigger for instant recollection of the particular bubble of delusions, simplistic logic and lies, politicians embedded themselves in.

When a photograph is this powerful, be thankful that it moves us as it moved you. It's not necessary that we realize all the countless skills and decisions you brought to the construction of this work. Suffice that it works, "point and counterpoint": subtle, complex, our teacher, entertainer and muse!

Asher